Removing Old base board wall heaters.

Old 09-19-05, 02:59 PM
G
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Removing Old base board wall heaters.

Does anyone know if there are any particulars from removing old heaters from the base of walls on drywall. I am buying a house built in 81 and they have some of these old heaters and I want them gome. Other than just ripping them out and patching the drywall is there anything else I should know about? Thanks for any help.

Old 09-19-05, 04:38 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 835 Upvotes on 732 Posts
Baseboard heaters are usually just screwwed to the wall. Make sure the power is off, remove the screws & disconnect the wires. It is best to permanently disconnect the wires at the breaker box. It is ok to leave the 'dead' wires in the wall. Usually no drywall repairs are needed but you will need to install baseboard and of course touch up the paint.

Old 09-20-05, 07:16 AM
G
Me and wiring are not good together! What would be the best way to disconnect them from the heater? Cut them? How do I "permanently disconnect the wires at the breaker box"? Could you be specific about that, I could see myself really screwing that one up! Thanks though, you made me feel a little better about doing it myself.

Old 09-20-05, 09:54 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 835 Upvotes on 732 Posts
The heaters are on a 220 volt - likely 20amp breakers. You'll need to determine which ones they are on and then with the power off disconect the wires that go to the breakers. You want to make sure you don't leave live wires disconnected at the heater. After the wires are disabled, cutting the wire where it enters the heater is the simplest way to disconnect them.
If you have no electrical experience I would suggest either hiring an electrician for that part or enlisting the help of a friend with a little elec experience. Basically it is a simple job but with the fire and electrical shock risk you don't want to mess up.

Old 09-20-05, 02:44 PM
G
Deinately noted! I think I will have that one done by a pro!

Old 09-21-05, 07:59 AM
J
I would seriously consider leaving at least one 240 outlet. They come in handy when you need one. You can't plug a regular 120 volt plug into it,and you can plug it up till you need it. If you make it the first one in the circuit you will not need to touch the box or get an electrician,just cut the extra wires leaving the outlet box.

Old 09-24-05, 01:53 AM
K
If you can throw the appropriate breakers, then you can safely take care of everything heater-side yourself, leaving just a quick job for an electrician at the breaker box.

Score around the heater where it meets the wall, with a knife. This keeps paint and paper from peeling off with the heater. Screws are usually visible through the front, above or below the guard, but snapping the guard off might shed better light on them. Remove all screws. Pull the heater as far as it will (cable still attached) from the wall, so you can easily get into it where the wire nuts are, or sever the cable, just outside the unit.

Do make a note of where the wires will be buried, better still a photo. That record could save lots of trouble ten years from now, who knows? Keep such documentation in a large envelope at the main panel (stays with the house). Future electricians will kiss you. IMO this should be law (the record keeping I mean).

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: