Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Open walls post Katrina & baby-proofing

Visiting Guest

09-24-05, 10:25 AM   #1  
Neelienola
Open walls post Katrina & baby-proofing

Hi....we live in a suburb of New Orleans and got about 6 inches of water throughout the house from Hurricane Katrina. My husband got the wet carpet out pretty quickly and went back a week later (we were not allowed to enter the city) to remove the lower few feet of sheetrock throughout the house. As I am sure you have seen on the news, there was so much damage in our area and so many home affected, so we know it is going to be a while before we are able to (1) even get sheetrock and (2) get someone to install it.

I have 4 kids, (13, 9, 4 and 15 months) and we are worried about the baby being in the house with the walls opened up like that. We are not living in the house now...we are staying in Austin at a friend's condo, but we do have to get back soon for schools, jobs, etc. Rental property in the area is in short supply as many homes were completely destroyed, it is getting very expensive, and the insurance is not going to cover loss of use living expenses since our damage is primarily caused by flooding.

So, we want to get back into our house as soon as we can and need a way to temporarily close up the bottoms of the walls to keep the little kids safe. If we go back in 2 weeks, the walls will have been opened up for 3 - 4 weeks. Someone suggested that we use chicken wire or some kind of mesh screening to close off the walls while still letting the air get inside them. Does anyone have any other ideas or does this sound like a reasonable way to keep baby away from wires?

Sponsored Links

09-24-05, 11:05 AM   #2  
So very sorry to hear of your loss... though it sounds like you were pretty lucky compared to others....

Any type of wire will still allow the little ones to stick their fingers into places they don't belong (outlets - my 24 month old can get in the darndest places)... So, while your idea isn't a bad one.... consider extra protection in those areas. I'd cover the outlets with pieces of plywood or something similar, nailing them to the studs for temporary protection during this period of transition. Also watch your edges on the wire... that stuff can get pretty sharp and cause deep scratches/punctures on sensitive skin.

Good luck... and let us know if we can be of any further assistance.....

Search this Thread