Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Walls and Ceilings
Reload this Page >

Sheetrock the ceiling after the walls?

Old 09-26-05, 11:36 AM
H
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

I hope I haven't gotten myself in too much of a jam here, but here it goes.

I fully intended on a drop ceiling for my finished basement. That being said, I'm just about done hanging sheetrock on the walls. Now I think I'm having second thoughts.

How feasible is it to leave the wall sheetrock in place and put up the ceiling sheetrock? Should I avoid doing this since instructions seem to dictate that the ceiling sheetrock should be installed first?

Old 09-26-05, 12:07 PM
T
One of the biggest reasons for hanging the ceiling first is to have enough "meat" to nail into along the edges. Where your joists run parallel to your new walls is the biggest issue. Hanging the ceiling first allows better holding power, not to mention the wall sheets tend to support the ceiling edges too. You may have to "sister" some lumber to your framing to get good nailing surface - but it's not impossible. Improvise... the first rule of the truly accomplished DIYer. But make sure you don't end up sagging.

You may end up with bigger gaps than you like where the ceiling/walls intersect. If so - use a "Durabond" type product to fill in rather than drywall mud (before you begin your taping/bedding process). It will give you a more solid substrate and resist cracking at the joints.

Old 09-26-05, 01:18 PM
H
So, the answer is it should be o.k. Any thought to the thickness of the sheetrock? Would 1/2" be sufficient (I should have some leftover from the walls).

Old 09-26-05, 01:27 PM
S
Group Moderator
Received 98 Votes on 86 Posts
Especially with sagging already being a potential pitfall for you, I would go with 5/8" for the ceiling.

Old 09-28-05, 05:32 PM
marrjam
Visiting Guest
Unhappy Glad I'm not the only one!

That's why I'm here too, I just finished sheet-rocking the walls in my basement and read online that I should do the ceilings first. My floor joists are 16" apart. Should I put some 2 x 4's as nailers inbetween the joists all around the perimeter to help with the holding power or will a screw every 16" be alright on the edges?

Thanks, Mark

Old 09-28-05, 05:41 PM
Group Moderator
Received 855 Votes on 783 Posts
1/2" sheetrock is just fine when the joists are on 16" centers. If the joists are on 24" centers, 5/8" is usually a must.

Mark, you don't need blocking on the edges between every joist, but check on each end of the room to see if there will be a joist to nail to on those 2 ends. If there isn't, that's where you'll need some blocking between joists. 2x4's laid flat work best.

Old 09-28-05, 05:57 PM
marrjam
Visiting Guest
Talking

Wow, that was a quick reply, I should have been in this forum before I started. I do have joists to nail to at each end, and will be using 5/8 on the ceiling. Glad to here I don't have to put nailers on the sides between the joists.

Thanks, Mark

Old 09-28-05, 06:00 PM
T
He's not just quick!

He's good too... Xsleeper is one of the most active and knowledgeable contributors to this forum..... Heed his advice... Heck - he's almost taught me a thing or two.... "almost".

Old 09-28-05, 06:15 PM
marrjam
Visiting Guest
Unhappy another mistake

Another thing I've ended up doing wrong is hanging the sheetrock vertically (another thing I discovered by reading through this forum). Is there a way to avoid this from showing up, I've seen it before in other buildings. Is it the mudding, the sealing or painting...Is there a way for me to finish the project without it being visible (I haven't started mudding yet).

Thanks, Mark

Old 09-29-05, 07:37 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 384 Votes on 340 Posts
Mark

It is more difficult to hide vertical seams every 4'. The better you finish the joiint the less it will show. Also using a flat paint [versus enamel] will help to minimize the view of the joints.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: