joint compund drying times

Old 09-29-05, 07:21 AM
joint compund drying times

Which joint compounds dry faster? (Lightweigth vs. all purpose) Are they other options for a faster drying joint compound?

Sponsored Links
Old 09-29-05, 08:04 AM
For pre mixed mud dry time is the same. Temp. and humidity have the greatest affect on dry time. You can put a fan on and speed it up that way. Remember, the big difference is all purpose dries harder than lightweight. Quick set mud is the way to go if you're in a hurry. Comes in powder form in set up times of 20, 45, 90 minutes. It wont be dry in that time but will be set up enough to coat over.

Old 09-29-05, 08:46 AM
HOWEVER.......... while the above post is correct.... Slow down - have a beer (or 2). You want your mud to be completely dry before you start working/reworking it..... Patience will pay off here. While the surface looks "dry"... the substrate is still soft/wet.... and is prone to shrinkage while drying.

Old 09-29-05, 09:31 AM
Ok .... so how about this as a compromise. My goal is to finish taping a room in a weekend.

Use durabond 20 to apply the tape and keep it smooth enough to avoid sanding.

wait 2 hours for extra dry time.

Use durabond 20 for the 2nd coat

wait 2 more hours and lightly sand

use all purpose compound for the 3nd coat.

wait 24 hours and sand. done

Will this work?

Old 09-29-05, 09:52 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Unless you have experience taping/finishing I wouldn't recomend the 20 minute mud - it is also refferred to as 'sudden bond' On patch work I've had it set up before I was finished.
You should be fine using either the 45 or 90 minute durabond. Remember don't mix up more than you can use in a half hour. When mixed correctly it will spread well but when it is time it sets up quick.
Other than the 20 min mud it sounds like a good plan.

Old 09-29-05, 09:53 AM
Not a really geat idea.

Iwould not use Durabond... It has an extremely short working time... and once dry.... is extremely difficult to sand as it is "hard as a rock". (relative to joint compound..

How about this... Do you first coat early, early Saturday morning (taping as you go..... This is the most critical part... Do your second coat early, early Sunday morning (24hrs later).... This coat should be thin enough to dry enough to rework by Sunday evening (except your edges... that are still drying from the first coat.... ) Taping Friday evening would be even better......

I just finished taping/bedding/texturing my newest addition (game room/bathroom)... and was quickly reminded as to why I "hate" mudding. It is a slow, tedious process - requiring attention to detail and patience....

Old 09-30-05, 06:00 AM
tape with all purpose. It has more glue in it to hold the tape. 1st coat with 90 min. quick set. 2nd coat with light weight. Depending on the size of the room and how good you are this should take the first day. 3rd coat when dry. Put a fan on it and you should be sanding in a couple of hours.

Old 09-30-05, 05:30 PM
IHI
I have bags of 20 minute and 5 minute in the truck....I have a get it done fast attitude, only down fall is mixing 1 pan at a time LOL!!! I takes practice to get mudding down to little to no sanding required, but once you do, it's not so bad using quick set.

Would recommend for you to start with 210 minute for your first coat, it will allow you to mix up enough to do the entire room in one batch....just clean all your tools thourghly when your done as it dries like concrete, then maybe for second coat you could mix up some 45min for 2nd coat and finish with 5-20 minute in any areas needing addressed so you dont have to sand anything.

PS-dont use anything but ice cold water to mix the hot mud either...ask how I know this

Old 10-01-05, 05:52 AM
Group Moderator
Plenty of big box fans and open the windows to allow drier air in and humid air out. That'll help also. I've seen 90 min mud take longer to recoat.

Old 10-01-05, 06:02 AM
IHI
Agreed in advertised on bag being a ballpark number for dry time. I use hot mud exclusively for 1st 2 coats since many of my jobs are just single room remodels I dont want to waste anymore time than necessary getting it prepped and finished. Even using hot mud with box fans going the corner joints always take longer to dry, and are more prone to pulling out when trying to second coat before completely dry, the seam joints will dry exceptionally fast and maybe have the center still damp, but it's dry enough to start your second coat with no worry of damaging prior work.

They also have knifes out there that have a slight bow built into the blade to allow extra material laid into the center of the joint to allow for shrinkage, it works great for the baned edge joints, but when using hot mud on there is no shrinkage so it's a mutt point and just make you have to featherout the edges even further on the second coat.

Search this Thread