drywall over door

Old 09-30-05, 06:50 PM
marrjam
Visiting Guest
Red face drywall over door

Greetings,

I'm currently taping and mudding drywall. When I put it up (vertically) I cut the sheets so I could use a full length on each side of the door and then cut a strip to fit above the door. Should I mud/tape the joint on each side of the door at the top? Would some kind of caulk be better? The reason I ask is that I've been browsing through the forum and found a post that pointed out that you shouldn't have joints over the door because the movement of the door will cause them to eventually crack. Any thoughts?

Thanks, Mark

Sponsored Links
Old 09-30-05, 08:31 PM
Group Moderator
Since you hung it that way, you will need to tape it. It might not crack, its just more likely TO crack when hung that way. Yell at anyone who slams the doors.

Hanging drywall that way created 2 short butt joints, and by the time it's properly taped, the whole top of the door will probably be floated. When you hang horizontal, the drywall spans the doorway which does not create any extra taping. If you have to break drywall over a door, do it toward the middle of the door. Glad to hear you're learning something from the forums!