Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Removal of painted popcorn ceilings

Visiting Guest

10-03-05, 11:01 AM   #1  
RaeNZ
Removal of painted popcorn ceilings

My house was built in the late 80's (no asbestos) and has popcorn ceilings in disrepair. Some rooms have been pained over at least once so the water is not soaking in. I have tried to get through the paint layer to scrape, but I seem to be doing a good job of scraping into the drywall underneath. any tips on how to remove the painted popcorn?

Also, the hallway is much easier to remove, except on seams and edges where joint compount has been used - do I just need to sand that smooth at the end?

Any help would be appreciated - everything else I have read relates to unpainted popcorn - and is ineffective in my case.

Thanks
Rae

Sponsored Links
Forum Topic Moderator

TN

10-03-05, 04:47 PM   #2  
As you have found out it is harder to remove painted popcorn. If it only has 1 coat of cheap latex paint water will often penatrate the paint with persistence. More than likely you will need to scrape the ceiling [try not to damage the rock] and then skim coat it with joint compound - it might require 2 coats. A lot of hard work but the end result will be worth it.

MN

10-10-05, 12:38 PM   #3  
If you damage the drywall paper...

Seal the areas without paper with BIN or KILZ prior to the skim coat.

I heard that without the paper, the moisture in the mud will absorb into the rock and cause cracks or shrinkage in that area.

By sealing the damaged area, you can prevent that.

I don't know how accurate this information is...

Forum Topic Moderator

TN

10-10-05, 02:06 PM   #4  
Posted By: rdhamm Seal the areas without paper with BIN or KILZ prior to the skim coat.

I heard that without the paper, the moisture in the mud will absorb into the rock and cause cracks or shrinkage in that area.

By sealing the damaged area, you can prevent that.

I don't know how accurate this information is...

Sometimes you can get away with mudding unprimed bare gypsum, other times you can't. Priming first garruntees no problems - cheap insurance

Search this Thread