Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Walls and Ceilings
Reload this Page >

Bathroom wallpapered wall with hole - help?

Old 10-04-05, 10:21 AM
KylieDavies
Visiting Guest

Hi everyone. First time poster. Found this forum doing a search. Hope you don't mind.

We live in an older house (some 50 years old). Our bathroom has a damaged wall right next to the bathtub. My son fought with us getting out of the tub and kicked that section of the wall hard enough to break the drywall behind it. For some reason (maybe due to age) the drywall cracked into an almost square like section (2ft wide by 1ft tall) and is being held up (I think) by the wallpaper.

This is what I'm telling my husband we should consider doing:

Tear off all the wall paper (2 walls have it) and expose the hole. Cut out the broken area with a clean rectangle shape. Get some more drywall and fill in the gap, taping, mudding and sanding down. Re-wallpaper.

My worry is that we do a mediocre job on the repair and once wallpapered up, the large rectangle is evident due to it being slightly higher than everything else.

Suggestions? Please.

Kylie

Sponsored Links
Old 10-04-05, 12:43 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Welcome to the forums

If you do a good job of repairing the patch it shouldn't be visible. It is important to replace with the same thickness of drywall - probably 1/2". If you don't trust your hands and eyes as to the levelness of the repair you can lay a straight edge across the patch to see if it is level across the wall. Try not to build the wall out with joint compound. You only want to use enough to make the tape and nail/screw heads disappear.

After you cut out the damaged drywall you may need to add framing [2x4 next to wall stud] to have a secure way to mount the new drywall.

Old 10-05-05, 10:11 PM
KylieDavies
Visiting Guest
Thanks for reply Mark.

Can I trouble you (or anyone else) to answer a follow-up to this project? Would it be possible to do the replacement on the section as you mentioned above and instead of stripping all the wallpaper on that wall and re-wallpapering the entire thing, just sanding and prepping the existing wallpaper and apply a new wallpaper layer over the existing paper and the newly repaird patch? (in an effort to save wallpaper removal time - which is evading me due to watching the kids and a working spouse).

Thanks!

Old 10-06-05, 06:45 AM
Sometimes you can paper over paper with decent results. I would take a shot at it. The worst that can happen is it won't stick properly, requiring you to take down all the wallpaper and starting over, which is what you've facing now anyway. Try the quick route - if it doesn't work, take the long one...

Depending on the thickness of your wallpaper, the previously cut edges might show through (from the patch area). When you're "mudding" your patch, run a very thin coat over the edges of the patch wallpaper cutout to try to eliminate that edge. I have to warn you, it might cause the original paper to come off the wall - but you will have given it a shot.

Someone else may chime in with a better way - so take your time....