Repairing cracks in emulsion paint

Old 10-05-05, 05:57 AM
beacon
Visiting Guest
Repairing cracks in emulsion paint

My mother has kindly done some painting for us but unfortunately the water based emulsion on the textured ceiling and the ceiling rose has cracked.

Is there a way to cover over these cracks with further layers of emulsion paint or will I need to strip the paint back and start again?

If it needs to be stripped what is the easiest way to do this?

Old 10-05-05, 06:06 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 398 Votes on 354 Posts
Welcome to the forums

I question why the paint cracked - often caused by drying too fast or contaminents on the surface. What type of texture is on the ceiling?

If the ceiling was slick the answer would be simple - mud/spackle the cracks,sand and apply another coat of paint. The thicker the paint the better the next coat would hide the cracking although I doubt paint alone will completely hide the cracks.

Old 10-05-05, 06:14 AM
beacon
Visiting Guest
Thanks Mark.

I'm not really sure why the paint has cracked. The ceiling is covered with a textured paper which was previously painted with a satin emulsion. Prior to painting I washed this down with sugar soap.

The painting was done whilst I was away so I'm not sure at what stage the cracks appeared but it has 2 coats of matt emulsion and the cracks are visible over several areas.

The ceiling rose is much worse though. My mum had noticed these cracks and had tried to remedy by overpainting. I think that the rose has had 4 coats now and the cracks are still clear.

Would adding something to the paint (like PVA) make it more plastic and therefore less likely to crack or should I try using a different type of paint. I am not overly concerned that the finish should be matt, satin or egg shell would be OK as long as the cracks are hidden.

Old 10-05-05, 08:27 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 398 Votes on 354 Posts
Between the use of emulsion paint and 'sugar soap' I assume you aren't in the USA. I don't know what a PVA additive is so I can't answer as to that.

Whatever you use will need to fill the cracks. Sometimes thicker paint will accomplish that by going on thick in the cracks while being brushed out thinner on the smooth areas. It might be a good idea to go to a paint store and explain the problem and see what solutions they have.

Wish you luck

Old 10-05-05, 10:07 AM
beacon
Visiting Guest
Thanks Mark.

I am from the UK.

Sugar soap is a general purpose decorators cleaning agent. It doesn't have sugar in it, not sure where the name comes from.

PVA is an adhesive, frequently used as a plasticising agent. I think I will do as you say and have a chat to the paint guy at the local hardware store. Thanks for your help though.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: