How to use drywall clip?

Old 10-05-05, 05:14 PM
How to use drywall clip?

I got those press-on drywall clips. I know one side is to be pressed onto the edge of the drywall, the other side is a flap with three holes spaced evenly. Originally, I thought these are holes for drywall screws, however, it's a little larger than the diameter of the screw. Can some body tell me how these clips are supposed to be used? Also, how far apart do I need to put one along the drywall edge? Thank you.

Sponsored Links
Old 10-05-05, 06:33 PM
Old 10-05-05, 07:09 PM
Sorry, didn't make it clear in the first post. I mean the clip used at corners where you have stud on only one side of the corner; and you use these clips to back the drywall on the other side.

Here is a link that shows what I got:

http://resourcecenter.pnl.gov/cocoon...er/graphic/229

Originally Posted by joneq

Old 10-05-05, 07:13 PM
Why do you need clips. where in the wall is the repair, is it just a hole

Old 10-05-05, 07:18 PM
I mean are you useing clips because there is no stud, and that is the only reason

Old 10-05-05, 07:27 PM
I am doing my basement now and under the staircase where I am building a small storage room, it's easier to use drywall clip than putting an extra stud in there. That's the only reason.

Can you tell me how should I fasten the other side (flap with 3 holes) of the clip? And how far apart should I place them? Thank you.

Originally Posted by joneq
I mean are you useing clips because there is no stud, and that is the only reason

Old 10-05-05, 07:39 PM
I never used them. I think it is easier to put a 2 by 4 on the flat. slip it behind the existing wall and leave 1/2 of it or 1 3/4 showing to screw to. Not such a good idea if you are nailing it though.

Looks like you gotta either bend that tab with the 3 holes or something. Could be that the clip is mean to be used to hang drywall on a ceiling. Sometimes when houses are built the framers don't leave anywhere to nail the drywall to on the ceiling. This looks like it would work for that.

Someone else will chime in. Relax and watch the Yankees not kick some you know what.

Last edited by joneq; 10-06-05 at 01:11 PM.
Old 10-06-05, 04:39 AM
I have used them before....but not for the same thing.
When you have a pocket door that is located at 90 degrees from a studded wall, these are used in place of a nailing strip.
They work, but the wall is still flimsy
I much prefer a 1X instead.