Joint Compound question

Old 10-10-05, 08:27 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Joint Compound question

What kind of compound to use?
I went to the store today to pick up a few shorter drywall screws, to use over my pocket door.
I am expecting to have most of my sheetrock hung by this weekend. So with that in mind, I walked over to check out the prices on joint compound and tape.
There were like 6 different kinds of joint compound.
I want to use the right one yes...but do I really need a different type for each step? They have some "with additives"..."without additives"..."extra adhesive"...I just want the joint compund I used 10 years ago...and paper tape...is that wrong?
All these different colored lids, and I know from experiance not to trust the guy selling me the stuff....
So what do you guys use for taping and finishing sheetrock?
Do they still make the old general purpose stuff you water down a little, and you can use it for tape, rough and finish coats?

Old 10-10-05, 08:37 AM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Progress, progress, progress..... I too, often yearn for the "good old days".... but figure if I was to "retro", I wouldn't be on this computer....

Just finished adding a new addition myself.... and bought a bucket (2) of good ole "all purpose" joint compound at my local box store. Like you, I noted the different varieties, but figured, if it was good enough for dad.... well, you know! Around $10/bucket (at least it's not just bagged dry mix anymore)..... and should be easily found.

Only time I water it down is for my finish coat... and then, just barely.

Old 10-10-05, 02:24 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 431 Votes on 385 Posts
I always slightly thin my joint compound. It makes it 'work' a lot easier.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: