Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

manufactured home with vinyl wall board and slanted ceilings

Visiting Guest

10-13-05, 11:02 AM   #1  
Beth M
manufactured home with vinyl wall board and slanted ceilings

I have a manufactured home with what I think is called vinyl wall board in the kitchen and bathroom, the rest of the house we were able to have sheet rock (thank goodness). The wall board has a print on it, with little strips of edging every 3 feet, with a corner edging on the corners. My objective is to take down the strips of edging fill it in with something?, and paint over the entire vinyl board to make it look as nice as the sheet rock does. There is crown molding and baseboard molding (on the floor).
1. What can I use to fill in where the strips were?
2. What kind of Primer or material do I use for the under coat ( the vinyl board is slightly textured )?
3. What type of paint is the least likely to show small blemish's? flat,satin,etc...
My other dilemma is the slanted walls and ceiling, the highest part of the ceiling is 9 ft. (where the marriage line is) and lowest part is 7 ft., also with crown molding and base moulding. My question is, do I hang pictures like it is a normal wall or do I need to hang them in a step down pattern that would match the slant of the wall?

Thanks for your help!!
Beth M

Sponsored Links
Forum Topic Moderator

TN

10-13-05, 04:45 PM   #2  
Welcome to the forums

What your walls are likely made of is 1/4" sheetrock specially made for MHs. Instead of the soft paper face that conventional rock has it has been replaced with a printed vinyl.

It can be painted but it is best to clean and prime with an oil base or shellac based primer first.

The joints should be at 4' intervals. The moulding strip can be removed and the joint taped and mudded like conventional drywall. I would not do this if you ever expect to move the MH - it will crack. It also may crack if the MH does much settling.

The flatter the sheen the less it will show defects. Flat paint will not highlight most small defects while a gloss will. Of course there are various other sheens available.

As far as hanging pictures, either way is correct. Do whatever looks best to you.

Kitchens and bath should have enamel both for washability and to repell moisture. Satin/eggshell has the lowwest sheen.

retired painter/contractor avid DIYer

Last edited by marksr; 10-13-05 at 04:48 PM. Reason: add info

Search this Thread