sheetrocking a sloped ceiling

Old 10-13-05, 02:07 PM
R
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
sheetrocking a sloped ceiling

I have a sloped ceiling I will be sheetrocking soon. It is 12'6" long, 13'6" wide. There is a flat at the top that is 4'6" (also 13'6" obviously). I will be using 1/2 rock. The room is 13'6" x 24'.

I have read as much as I can on hanging vertical vs horizontal rock but Im still unsure. Since its a high ceiling and I am using a scaffold I built - its solid but only a 4x4. It has been fine for my electrical and insulation, and will be fine for screwing the rock (Ill use a lift for holding it up). But I expect the spackling to be a BIG headache since I wont have much reach (even on a 4x4 I stay fairly close to the center). But its a pain to move - very heavy. Im tryingto avoid havingto move this thing every few feet all over the room- for 3 coats! And since Im at the end of the job, I dont want buy or even rent one that may be lighter or bigger.

My first thought was to use 14 footers and hang them horizontally but that doesnt leave much room for error in cutting or even in turning the sheets so they face the right direction. I think it would be tough to turn a peice of 13'6" (after trimming) rock in a room that is 13'6" - no? So geting it into position will be tough.

So, I then figured 12 footers horizontally. Ill have the same number of seems but at least I can keep them in the corners - only about 2 feet away - staggered. Thats seems ok. But do I really gain that much over 8 footers whcih are probably alot easier to handle, carry, etc.

Then I thought about 14 footers vertically (parrallel with rafters). They would be oriented in the direction of the room longways (24') so I would have room and I could trim them to 12'6" and then onto the lift. But I have read that, even though you can run rock either way (horizontally or vertical) that cielings shoudl alwys be horizontal.

Will there be enough "meat" on the beveled end to screw 2 pieces of rock on the 1.5 inch thick rafter?

Will there be cracking?

Are ceiling always run hroizontal because of slight movemneents due to snow on rooof?

Which way would you guys do this? I THINK 14 footers horizontal will be easier to spackle - but Im not sure.

Old 10-13-05, 04:30 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 835 Upvotes on 732 Posts
Originally Posted by rkoudelka
IWill there be enough "meat" on the beveled end to screw 2 pieces of rock on the 1.5 inch thick rafter?
Are ceiling always run hroizontal because of slight movemneents due to snow on rooof?
Which way would you guys do this? I THINK 14 footers horizontal will be easier to spackle - but Im not sure.

The ends of sheetrock with exception of corners almost always share the 1 1/2" edge of a stud or rafter.

Hanging walls or ceilings horizontally is done to minimize the variances in the studs and rafters - makes for a better looking job.

Personally I have never seen 10' or 14' lengths of rock but I have heard them mentioned in the forums so I suppose they exist. Working alone or with inexperienced help, 8' rock is much easier to hang. 12' rock usually makes for less joints = easier finishing.

When hanging angles it is important to hang all of one side first [or atleast the same way]. If the boards alternate any at the angled joints they will be uneven - almost impossible to fix with tape and mud.

Last edited by marksr; 10-13-05 at 06:37 PM. Reason: add info
Old 10-13-05, 06:55 PM
R
Originally Posted by marksr
When hanging angles it is important to hang all of one side first [or atleast the same way]. If the boards alternate any at the angled joints they will be uneven - almost impossible to fix with tape and mud.
Huh?

Ive read this a few times, I just cant picture what you mean. Are you referringto a situation where there is no flat ceiling and the two slopes meet? If so, there is a flat ceiling, about 4.5 feet between my two big slopes.

In any case, I have hung new sheetrock in a kitchen and bathroom remodel job - but Im far from experienced. In that case, are you saying you would go with 8 foot board hung horizintally?

Old 10-14-05, 06:57 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Wish I was smart enough to draw you a picture [but I guess I'm lucky I can type ] If the line where 2 pieces of rock meet isn't straight neither will the finished joint be straight. On a regular 90` angle it won't show but when you have an off angle [beveled - not 90`] where one piece slightly overlaps the other it is very important that the slight lap always be on the same side.
******* B
Side A - /~\ - side C ** all of side A should be under side B. If A alternates from being under to over B the results will be a wavy joint. It may not show too bad in a small room but I have seen long angles [by so called pros] that were hung wrong and it don't look to good. It doesn't matter if A is under or over only that it is consistent.

Definetly hang the board horizontly. The only time you want to hang vertically is when the wall is 4' or less. I always use 8' boards unless I know I'm going to have good help.

Old 10-14-05, 07:38 AM
R
now i see what you mean

Yes, I would definitely have the overlap the same on all. Actually , Ill hang my ceiling first since 1) Im suposed to, and 2) its only 4'6" by 13'6". So it should be easier to get out of the way.

So, Ill go horizontally on the slopes - most likely with 8 footers and Ill just grin and bear it when it comes to only being able to spackle a small area at a time - limited by a scaffold thatis big and heavy to move - but thats ok - I think I can exercise the patience.

The lat question then, I think, is about rocking the flat ceiling. Based on the dimensions written above, if I rrun 2 8 footers horizontally, Ill still have a 6" strip near ne of the corners. Would you , in that case, run vertically, cutting the boards 4'6" to fit the width. I would avoid having a 6 inch strip running the 13'6" length. Or is that meaningless - especially since , only 6 inches from the corner, it could get spackled with the corner with a bigger feathering.

Old 10-14-05, 09:10 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
The problem with hanging the boards vertically is the seams are more apt to show. If you were to take an 8' straight edge and lay it across the rafters you will likely find that one or more are slightly higher [or lower]. Spanning as many rafters as possible [8' in your case] helps to elimanate the differance showing. A narrow ripper next to another joint usually disappears with the finishing of both joints.

You are right the ceiling should be hung first - I kind of trapped myself [with the angle wall/ceiling] in my attempt to explain.

One other suggestion - You can expand your working area with the use of a walkboard going from your platform to either a saw horse or ladder.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: