Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

doityourself gal ? fix a popcorn ceiling

Visiting Guest

10-13-05, 10:54 PM   #1  
greeneyegrl954
doityourself gal ? fix a popcorn ceiling

I have enjoyed reading the different things in here..It has been very helpful..But now to my problem...I have a DR ceiling with water damage which has caused a little bow too by about 1/2 inch or less..The townhome has all popcorn thru out..The DR ceiling drops down about a foot from the rest of the ceiling downstairs..I have no problem changing to a different texture...I would say about 1/4 of the ceiling has waterdamage..This area is about 9' by 12'
A few questions:
1)What would be the easiest way to remove the popcorn texture on the ceiling? Was reading about some ways and does not look easy ..And very messy..

2)Could i then like cut or shave the bow off and then spacked or puddy it ?

3)What type of texture would you recommend to put back on? I don't mind it being different from the rest as long it would look good..

4) Or would it just be easier to try to repair that area and try to match up the other popcorn that is already there?

Thankyou so much in advance..Any help would be appreciated..I will be the only one tacklling this project..

Last edited by greeneyegrl954; 10-13-05 at 11:35 PM.

Sponsored Links
Forum Topic Moderator

TN

10-14-05, 07:09 AM   #2  
Popcorn is the easiest texture to apply and covers defects well - main reason it is used so widely.

You can not shave the drywall. If the drywall is still sound you may be able to screw it back tight to the rafters/joists. You may need to use a prop to aid in raising the lowered area. With a bit of luck you may only have to cover the screw heads. Prime any water stains with a stain killer [like kilz]

Worst case scenario - you would need to cut out the damaged drywall, replace, tape and finish then retexture. New popcorn is easily blended in with the old texture. Popcorn comes in 3 sizes - fine, medium & coarse. Medium is the most common.

BTW anything to do with popcorn is almost always quite messy.

retired painter/contractor avid DIYer

Search this Thread