Painting or drywall over brick wall??

Old 10-16-05, 05:31 PM
Brazen C5
Visiting Guest
Painting or drywall over brick wall??

I have an exterior brick wall, and the inside of the wall is a closet in a bedroom. It was previously painted but is all nasty and parts of the paint is flaking in areas. Is it best to remove the old paint and repaint, or is it advisable to sheet rock over the brick wall (in the closet)? Im also concerned about the possibility or moisture building between the brick and drywall, but not sure if that should be a concern here or not. Im in the San Francisco Ca, area, so the weather here is not as extreme as other parts of the country.

What is the best process (materials and step by step) for either scenario?

thanks,

chris

Sponsored Links
Old 10-17-05, 09:48 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
It depends what you want the finished product to look like.

If you like the brick - clean off all loose paint. Add emulsa bond to the first coat of paint [to help it bond]. Then apply 1-2 more coats of paint and it should look good.

To drywall - you would need to attach furring strips to the brick so you would have something to fasten the drywall to. Maybe add 3/4" foam panels between the strips for insulation. You would then be ready to hang and finish the drywall.

Old 10-20-05, 03:21 PM
Brazen C5
Visiting Guest
Thanks for the reply Marksr,

The only preference I have between the two finished products is which ever is easier and quicker.

I guess I'll have to figure out which is quicker. Cleaning off brick or putting up furring strips.

Do you know of a good quick way to clean off the flaking old paint off brick? Maybe some kind of buff sander attached to a drill, or is another way to use some kind of paint remover?

thanks, chris

Old 10-20-05, 06:57 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
I would think cleaning the brick would be quicker. You should be able to remove the loose paint with a wire brush and a putty knife. It would probably be a good idea to add emulsa bond to the first coat of latex paint. 2-3 coats of paint should almost make any scally areas disappear. Since it is a closet I wouldn't go overboard in trying to make it perfect

Old 10-20-05, 08:25 PM
trinity082482
Visiting Guest
Cant you soak the wall with paint thinner and scrub it all off?

Old 10-21-05, 06:22 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
It would be difficult to soak an interior brick wall. Also I don't believe paint thinner would have any more effect than water on removing old dry paint.

Old 10-21-05, 10:39 AM
Brazen C5
Visiting Guest
Thanks for the helpful advice, marksr.

Search this Thread