Wallpaper down, Now What??!!

Old 10-20-05, 12:24 PM
meo
Wallpaper down, Now What??!!

Ok, so all the wallpaper is down (that stuff should be ILLEGAL!!!) and some of the drywall coating has come off with the glue (ILLEGAL, I SAY!!!) -- my DH suggested removing all of the "bits" that are stuck on there where some paper backing of the wallpaper is left, and then priming with a thick primer to fill in the spots that are...spotted...or whatever you'd call it -- uneven. Is there a good thick primer I should use, or two coats, or do I need to sand down the uneven spots? The spots are uneven by a hair -- but you'd notice it if you just went ahead and painted without any prep...also, there are some small gaps where the seams were -- also about a hair's depth...or I guess we could always spackle those sections? I dunno how to proceed...

Sponsored Links
Old 10-20-05, 12:42 PM
Is there a good thick primer I should use, or two coats, or do I need to sand down the uneven spots?
Spray whats left of the wallpaper backing with warm water, it should come off with relative ease. Repair any defects in the walls with drywall mud, then sand off fixed spots and lightly sand the entire wall to remove any remaining wallpaper paste.
Prime, then touch up any spots that need to be fixed with drywall mud. sand off fixed spots then spot prime. apply 2 coats of paint of your choice.

Old 10-20-05, 05:36 PM
Every thing sounds good, but I would spot prime the areas where the drywall paper is missing with some BINbefore I patched them.The paper[edges] could start to bubble and cause more probs. The Bin seals it so the water in the mud has no effect. Wait till it's dry to use the Bin.

Old 10-20-05, 08:34 PM
trinity082482
Visiting Guest
I agree Wall paper SHOULD be ILLEGAL... But on the other hand it is the glue that holds up my plaster walls, so it has purpose after all! HAHAHA

Old 10-21-05, 08:40 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Wallpaper hung on properly prepared walls, usually can be removed with no major problems. Unfortunately this is not always the case. I have stripped wallpaper that came off so well I believe you could roll it up and hang it on another job, and others that you had to fight for every square inch [and wish you had never seen the job]

Sizing a well painted wall does wonders for paper removal at a later date

Old 10-24-05, 03:31 PM
meo
So what is this sizing I keep hearing about??!

Old 10-24-05, 03:35 PM
take a look at the products on this page.

http://www.zinsser.com/subcat.asp?CategoryID=2

Old 10-24-05, 04:36 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Originally Posted by meo
So what is this sizing I keep hearing about??!
Sizing is a type of primer that aids both in the hanging and removal of wallpaper. IMO it works best when the wall is already painted. I have had problems stripping wallpaper off of sheetrock that only had sizing for a primer.

Old 10-25-05, 01:53 PM
Another wall paper fan I see.

I agree with the sizing comments it makes a world of difference. My wife WAS a big fan of wallpaper until I made her scrape the paper off one wall while I did other projects. Many many times she asked if we couldn't just hire someone and I kept insisting NO you need to finish it. After that she won't even walk down an isle in the store with wallpaper on it so mission accomplished...LOL