Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Ceiling tiles got wet and are loose and bowed

IL

10-25-05, 08:17 AM   #1  

1.)My ceilings got wet and loosened about four to six, 12 inch square ceiling tiles that were attached directly to ceiling. Can I use some type of screw and washer to re-attach them by pulling them up, or do I need to cut them out and replace. They are the real light (cardboard?) type tiles.

2.)Also another drywall ceiling had a previous really bad plaster job. It was painted over and never even sanded. Can I sand it now over the paint to make it look better?

3.) And it has a tape seam coming loose. How can I repair it?

Thanks for any help and advice.

Sponsored Links
Forum Topic Moderator

TN

10-25-05, 09:10 AM   #2  
Other than painting them I don't know much about the ceiling tiles.

You can sand over painted plaster/joint compound but it is a lot harder with the paint on it. It may be easier to skim coat over the bad areas. [sand first so the joint compound will adhere better]

To repair loose tape you will need to cut out the loose and retape. Apply joint compound, then tape and using a broad knife smooth out and remove excess mud. Let dry and apply more mud until smooth.

retired painter/contractor avid DIYer

IL

10-26-05, 05:46 PM   #3  
Thank You MarkSr. I will do it as you said. Can anyone help with the ceiling tiles??

Visiting Guest

10-27-05, 08:43 AM   #4  
trinity082482
You can replace them. They can get expensive.. I have them too and I am getting rid of mine. UCK!

Search this Thread