Drywall with Finish nailer

Old 10-25-05, 11:31 PM
Drywall with Finish nailer

I posted this originally in the garage section...I think I should have posted it here....Oh well, I'm new!
Ok, first time post...and first time homeowner as well

My garage is not finished (walls). It shows the studs, wiring...you name it. I don't have any plans on making my garage a showroom. I just want to hang some drywall. I also plan on doing some trim around the inside of the house. This leads to my question. Will an air finish nailer do the drywall? I know I can use smaller brad nails to do the trim. But I was thinking of 2" (maybe slightly bigger) finish nails for the drywall. Would this plan work? I know I can use screws...but I'm looking for a 2in1. Any thoughts or advice?

thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 10-26-05, 04:53 AM
Group Moderator
Absolutely not! Drywall must be hung with either drywall nails (nailed by hand) or drywall screws (screwed with a drywall gun or cordless drill). The head of the nail/screw is what holds the weight of the drywall, provided it does not pierce the drywall paper. Finish nails practically have no head, would be countersunk below the paper and would not hold the drywall at all.

Old 10-26-05, 09:10 AM
Why drywall?

You could look for other things than drywall for the garage.

Look at slatwall. This is great for hanging tools, and making shelves.

You can buy it used from stores going out of business or new.

Plus, you can install it with a nail gun if you wish.

Old 10-26-05, 10:58 AM
Thanks for the tips and advice guys. Like I said before...I'm kinda new to all this stuff. I've never even heard of the stuff mentioned in the second reply. I will have to look into that.

Old 10-26-05, 12:02 PM
Originally Posted by Rapture
Thanks for the tips and advice guys. Like I said before...I'm kinda new to all this stuff. I've never even heard of the stuff mentioned in the second reply. I will have to look into that.

Don't worry about it. I have been renovating for years and I never heard the term slatewall before either (didn't recognize it by that name). But if you google it I bet you will remember having seen it before.

Old 10-26-05, 12:38 PM
Slatwall

Sorry. It is the slotted walls that stores use for displays. All kinds of things hang off of it: Baskets, shelves, hooks, etc.

Sometimes when retail stores go out of business they sell the stuff. It is tough, paintable and very useful. It is also heavy.

As stated, you can find it by Googling "slatwall".

Last edited by rdhamm; 10-27-05 at 11:36 AM. Reason: removed content
Old 10-26-05, 05:32 PM
you can also use...

you can also use the hard board with all the holes in it. Imnot sure what its called but youve seen it. A 4x8 sheet riddled with holes every 1/2 inch or so. You hang hooks in it and its great for hangingthings also - like tools.

Old 10-26-05, 06:03 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Originally Posted by rkoudelka
you can also use the hard board with all the holes in it. Imnot sure what its called .
It is called peg board, 1/8" thick has small holes, 1/4" has slightly larger holes. It can be found with a brown masonite finish, a white finish and sometimes you can get it with a wood paneling finsh.

Old 10-26-05, 06:34 PM
Group Moderator
It used to be that OSB was the cheapest way to finish a workshop. That was before OSB got really popular... and before all the hurricanes. I recently got a sheet of 3/4 OSB, and it cost $39!!! 1/2" OSB is almost the same price too. 3/4 CDX plywood is only $36. Amazing.