Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Problem with plasterboard walls

Visiting Guest

10-29-05, 05:56 AM   #1  
locka
Problem with plasterboard walls

I come from england. I am trying to reapir walls in a porch I have on my house. From it's construction it looks like it has been put together by some DIY person. The problem I have is Iam getting a crack between to plaster board joints near to the door which leads into my lounge.

The plaster board wall seems to move more that it should. So I tried to fix it better to the wall using nails. When I try this the crack got worse and then a section came away at which point I notice there was no plaster board there just gap about 1cm wide. and the plaster had just been put over the top. This goes all the way down the wall. There is no easy way to fix to the brick wall behind as this is about 10cm deep. There is also a plastic sheet inside the hole. I am assuming that this is for damp proofing.

Can anyone suggest how I can fill the hole and stop it from cracking in the future.

Sorry for any spelling mistakes

Regards,
Adrian

Sponsored Links
Forum Topic Moderator

TN

10-30-05, 05:14 PM   #2  
I'm guessing plasterboard is the same as drywall. Your right that the plastic is a moisture barrier. My metric system knowledge isn't too good. Providing the crack isn't very wide you should be able to cover it with some joint compound and inserting some drywall tape over the crack. Using a broad knife, smooth the area out while wet. Add 1 or 2 more coats of compound and sand when dry. The tape may not stop it from cracking in the future but should at least slow it down.

retired painter/contractor avid DIYer

Search this Thread