Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Is this a new stain in the ceiling?

FL

10-31-05, 03:28 PM   #1  
Is this a new stain in the ceiling?

Several years ago when hurricane Irene went by we had a roof leak and part of my ceiling had water stains. It's a popcorn ceiling so I did not mess with it until I have to. Thinking I will probably remove all the popcorn instead of just repainting over the stains. But I did have a roofer repair the leak last year and so far so good, until Wilma.

After last week's hurricane Wilma, my roof had some tile damages along the ridges, see below:

http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2005-...oof_ridge1.jpg

I am still waiting to get a roofer to come repair it, but the wait could be a while when everyone needs roofers.

Meanwhile my wife noticed a stain she said is new. I am not sure if it's new, it is close to the old stain, so I don't know, and now she said she is not sure either.

Is there a fool proof way to tell if a water stain is new or old on a popcorn ceiling?

MC

Sponsored Links
Forum Topic Moderator

TN

10-31-05, 04:06 PM   #2  
I doubt there is any fool proof way to distinguish a new water stain from an old one. The new stain might be a little darker and the rock might still be damp but ....

retired painter/contractor avid DIYer

11-02-05, 06:27 PM   #3  
new stains

Dealing with earthquake & aftershock repairs- I'm going to tape paper to ceiling & see if it gets a drip mark..may work for you too,good luck

Search this Thread