Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

deep patch

Visiting Guest

11-03-05, 12:15 PM   #1  
furumoto
deep patch

Hi,

I recently removed a wall in a building with single wall construction (ie the walls are tongue-n-groove redwood -- no wall framing what-so-ever) and there is a fairly deep groove and a slight difference in room ceiling heights. I used fiberglass tape when I originally filled the crack, but to get a flat surface I've gotten a pretty deep patch and its starting to crack. What can I do to save this? Is there any material I can put on before I do any more coats? I still have to build it up a little more to get a flat surface. I don't want to use caulk because I can't sand it and I don't think my texture will stick to it.

Any ideas are appreciated,

L. Furumoto

Sponsored Links
Forum Topic Moderator

TN

11-03-05, 12:24 PM   #2  
Welcome to the forums

You may have applied to much mud at one time -it shrinks as it dries causing it to crack. It would have been better to use thicker drywall or shimmed it so it would take less mud. You should be ok though. Applying more mud should take care of the problem - just don't apply it too thickly. Several thin coats are better than a real thick coat.

retired painter/contractor avid DIYer

Visiting Guest

11-03-05, 12:37 PM   #3  
furumoto
Hi Mark,

Thanks for the reassurance, I have a slight cove still and am going to put a little paper tap over the cracked part. Its really only about 18 inches at one end of the seam thats deep/cracked, I don't think the two rooms/ceilings have the same relationship to level. They also don't have the same ceiling texture, but thats another story.

Mahalo nui,

LF

Search this Thread