Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Stinky family room

MO

11-09-05, 09:33 AM   #1  
Stinky family room

I am in the process of remodeling my family room in the basement of my house. I removed the sheetrock that was covered by of plaster. Needless to say there was a lot of dust. I vacuumed the whole area, which consisted of a 10x10 area of carpet and the rest of room was sheet vinyl. I then proceeded to put up new plastic for the vapor barrier because it is all outside walls in the basement. I started to hang new drywall but I have noticed that the smell of the old drywall and plaster is still strong as I go downstairs. Will this smell go away or is it embedded in the insulation and/or carpet?

Sponsored Links
Group Moderator

WI

11-09-05, 09:45 AM   #2  
The insulation is going to be covered, so I'm thinking carpet is the bigger concern. You're make a mess right now (a big mess if you're like me) and a professional carpet cleaning when you're done would be a good idea.

MO

11-09-05, 10:02 AM   #3  
So do you think since the insulation has a vapor barrier and covered with drywall that it will not stink?

Forum Topic Moderator

TN

11-09-05, 11:18 AM   #4  
I wouldn't think the insulation would have much smell unless it is wet. Unless there are moisture issuses I would think that most of the smell is just from dust and once everything is finished [after all everything behind the wall is sealed up] a final good cleaning should take care of it.

retired painter/contractor avid DIYer

Search this Thread