Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Walls and Ceilings
Reload this Page >

Replacing Wallboard Panel That Is Glued On

Old 11-10-05, 07:55 AM

Hi Gang,

I just put up the wallboard in our remodeled porch and now realize that I have to relocate four 4" by 6" holes for in-wall speakers (they are too low). Rather than put a patch in the old holes and create new ones in the existing mounted drywall panels, I would rather just remove the panels altogether and put in new ones with holes that are correctly located. The problem is that I glued those panels in with Liquid Nails drywall glue. Is that glue going to make removing the panels incredibly difficult to the point that I should try to patch the existing panels that are in place?

Thanks.

Steve

Sponsored Links
Old 11-10-05, 11:40 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
You will likely have to scrape the glue [and whatever rock is still attached] off of the studs.

Old 11-10-05, 01:09 PM
Thanks

Thanks Marksr.

Old 11-13-05, 03:56 AM
Get a very sharp chisel to scrape off the old glue. If the new patch sticks out further than the wall you will have to blend it out at least 12 inches. If the new patch is at or below the wall it is far easier to finish.

(If it is even with the wall, you should blend it out 12 inches anyway so it doesn't look patched.)

Old 11-13-05, 07:33 AM
Thanks

Thanks Mudslinger that is exactly what my concern was all about. Actually what I ended up doing was in fact patch the old holes and relocate them instead of tearing out the whole panel. But the patch over the old holes is a bit uneven and your comment about blending it out 12 inches is something I did not know.

Old 12-17-05, 08:28 AM
devildog
Visiting Guest
Thumbs up Glue left from dry wall

After removing the drywall from a wall ofcourse the glue stayed behind. Tried to scrape it off but kept digging into the studs. Went and got my Dewalt 4&1/2" side grinder with a wire brush on it and the glue came right off.I reccommend the use of atleast a dust mask AND a full face sheild also wear gloves.