Drywall Compound Dust

Old 11-14-05, 11:22 AM
FCMCburt
Visiting Guest
Drywall Compound Dust

Hi. I sanded Drywall Joint Compound. There was dust everywhere! The area was blocked off with plastic but there were gaps and not much ventilation. When I was through, I dusted surfaces, swept the floor and vaccumed the pile up. Approx. 4 hours later, dust was everywhere again. Is this normal? Does the dust usually settle even when the sanding is done? Do you have any idea how long it can take for the dust to settle?

Old 11-14-05, 11:36 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I like you did the cleanup, even took a soft broom and swept the walls down. My dust didnt settle till I painted, and rooms at the other end of the house had dust settle on them.

Old 11-14-05, 03:33 PM
T
My basement remodel has been "completed" now for about 4 weeks. I think (think) the dust has finally settled for good. Even with blocking off A/C ducts, poly sheeting, judicious closing of doors - the drywall compound dust gets "everywhere" for a long time.

Old 11-16-05, 01:56 AM
M
Originally Posted by FCMCburt
Hi. I sanded Drywall Joint Compound. There was dust everywhere! The area was blocked off with plastic but there were gaps and not much ventilation. When I was through, I dusted surfaces, swept the floor and vaccumed the pile up. Approx. 4 hours later, dust was everywhere again. Is this normal? Does the dust usually settle even when the sanding is done? Do you have any idea how long it can take for the dust to settle?
After sweeping the floor the dust will settle again, so dusting is useless if the floor hasn't been cleaned. Vacuums can blow dust out of the housings, so I wouldn't use that unless you have very little to clean (around the wall/floor opening where the trim will go. Also, make sure you use a bag inside your shop-vac, otherwise it will blow dust EVERYWHERE!

I use floor sweeping compund to keep the floor dust down (you can get it at The "Big Orange Box" or "Big Blue". ) Before you paint, sweep the walls again to remove any dust, it will end up on the floor, and that can be swept again using the floor sweep compound immediately, or before the flooring goes down.

It's too late to do this now, although covering over any ductwork (vents and returns) will prevent massive amounts of dust from going into the heater and blowing it throughout your house.

I hope this helps,

Old 11-16-05, 08:05 AM
A
ditto

all of the others. Man that stuff seems to float and settle several times before its all over with.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: