Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

hanging drywall on trust rafters

Visiting Guest

11-16-05, 08:15 PM   #1  
dmover
hanging drywall on trust rafters

When drywall is installed on trust rafters I was told that you shouldn't screw within 12 inches or so of the interior walls because the trust rafters could pull up in cold weather and crack the finished joint, My question is how do you fasten the ends by the wall so they don't move?

Sponsored Links

11-16-05, 09:26 PM   #2  
Its "truss" and if correctly attached, will not noticably deflect.

Visiting Guest

11-17-05, 03:43 AM   #3  
dmover
can you explain -- correctly attached?

11-17-05, 06:35 AM   #4  
When not specifically addressed in the framing details on the plan, three 16D at each top plate to truss intersection.

PA

11-20-05, 08:04 AM   #5  
In 19 years of doing drywall for work I never heard that one. Building inspectors here require adhesive and screws on every joist.

If you rely on the wall to hold up the ceiling at the edges, the theory is a great way to cut corners, but makes for lousy workmanship. The tighter they are affixed close to each other, the less chance you have of the tape cracking, peeling, etc. due to expansion/contraction

If the edges AREN'T attached, you WILL get gaps during winter. Every outside corner of my house does ... until I screw it in as I renovate.

Search this Thread