Drywall All The Way To The Subfloor?

Old 11-27-05, 08:34 AM
Drywall All The Way To The Subfloor?

I'm halfway through a bathroom renovation... I'm about to replace the drywall on one wall and then put in new ceramic tile (I figured I should do the wall first)

I have removed all of the old subfloor, scabbed new floor joists on to the old ones for stability and flatness, and screwed and glued 3/4" PT plywood for a subfloor. That is ready for the Durock and tile.

At first, on the wall I'm replacing, I was thinking I might not want to bring the drywall all the way down to the subfloor, since the baseboard will hide it and I thought that if there was ever a significant amount of water on the floor, the drywall could act as a wick and soak it up the wall. However, when measuring for the drywall cuts, I realized that the top of the horizontal stud (plate?) is only about 1/4" above the subfloor. If I don't bring the drywall all the way down, I'll only be able to fasten the drywall at the bottom where there are vertical studs.

Will that work? What would you do? (I hope this makes sense)

Sponsored Links
Old 11-27-05, 10:00 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Securing the sheetrock every 16" should be sufficent. Why not add a 2x on top of the sole plate? Should be easy to add and may come in handy when nailing up base board.

Old 12-02-05, 10:41 AM
I added nail supports between each stud at the bottom of the "wall wells" on my attic project because the sole plate was down at the top of the ground floor ceiling.

Looking back, it seemed a waste of time. Just find your studs well when doing the baseboard.

Old 12-03-05, 04:22 AM
Either way should work, after all the drywall seems in the middle of the wall are supported only on the 16's. At the bottom, to be covered with trim, it really won't matter if it is only supported on the 16's.

I hope this helps

Old 12-04-05, 07:04 AM
Originally Posted by Timinindy
I'm halfway through a bathroom renovation... I'm about to replace the drywall on one wall and then put in new ceramic tile (I figured I should do the wall first)

I have removed all of the old subfloor, scabbed new floor joists on to the old ones for stability and flatness, and screwed and glued 3/4" PT plywood for a subfloor. That is ready for the Durock and tile.

At first, on the wall I'm replacing, I was thinking I might not want to bring the drywall all the way down to the subfloor, since the baseboard will hide it and I thought that if there was ever a significant amount of water on the floor, the drywall could act as a wick and soak it up the wall. However, when measuring for the drywall cuts, I realized that the top of the horizontal stud (plate?) is only about 1/4" above the subfloor. If I don't bring the drywall all the way down, I'll only be able to fasten the drywall at the bottom where there are vertical studs.

Will that work? What would you do? (I hope this makes sense)

You are correct about the drywall wicking up any water that would happen to get on the floor. Typically there is about 1/2" gap between the bottom of the wall sheet and the subfloor. You'll be fine fastening the drywall solely to the vertical wall studs, don't worry about mudding the bottom fasteners, and you'll easily be able locate the wall studs when you are ready to install the baseboard. HTH