Cheapest ceiling material?

Old 11-27-05, 02:26 PM
CableTool
Visiting Guest
Cheapest ceiling material?

Ive got a 19X12 basement area Im trying to clean up a bit. All unfinished. I just want a decent ceiling and some drywall. I neglected to measure but it isnt a high ceiling. I was looking at Home Depots CEILINGMAX product to avoid a drop ceiling but that stuff is PRICEY!
I then started looking at drop ceiling products and I lost my mind. I may end up with some furring strips and paneling as horrible as that will look just so I dont spend a grand on such a small space.
( Im avoiding permanent solutions such as drywall to leave room for accesories and goodies. )

Any ideas for me? Any cheaper retailors for tiles and such?

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Old 11-28-05, 06:20 AM
Any type of suspended ceiling will be expensive. The cheapest route is drywall. What kind of goodies are you talking about?

Old 11-29-05, 03:30 AM
CableTool
Visiting Guest
Originally Posted by coops28
Any type of suspended ceiling will be expensive. The cheapest route is drywall. What kind of goodies are you talking about?
If I decide to go home theater down there or if I need access to electrical, gas or anything that is routed through there. I might consider drywall though and just re-route some stuff that is able to be re-routed.

Right now Im just mulling some things over and weighing my inexperience with cost. I think I can get the hang of drywall but I would challenge my learning curve greatly if I attempted to do this on the ceiling as well.

Old 11-29-05, 07:10 AM
Rent a drywall lift (~ 40 bucks a day around here) and you won't have any problems hanging it on the ceiling at all.

Old 11-29-05, 11:03 AM
Plan for everything

Drywall is the cheapest and prettiest finishing option. If you're not sure of future additions, plan for "just in case".... Running hidden cables, lengths of wire, etc., is easy at this stage and inexpensive. If you don't use them... fine... if you want them later - they're accessible. If you're not sure what you might be adding later - run a length of 2inch PVC behind your new ceiling with access at either end..... that way, you can always easily fish new "stuff" through it......

Old 12-01-05, 09:48 AM
If your going to go through the extra work and expense of running things just in case, you might as well save yourself the time and just go with the dropped ceiling. They arent that much more expensive i dont think.

And if your concerned about the learning curve with hanging and spackling it makes even more sense. Especially in a basement. My basement joists were not level and I needed to fur them out. Some corners didnt have anything to nail to so I needed to add some 2x3 pieces.

I think a sheetrocked ceiling does look better when done (especially if your basement cieling is low, the 2 or 3 inches you lose ona drop can mean a lot) but in my case, I rocked it and 6 months later needed to re-run some heating copper so Im going to cut a few holes in it in a week or so anyway (more work)

If you go with drywall , also be careful about renting a jack. if your unfamiliar, slow, get caught in a bind, etc. you may end up having it mre days than you want to pay for.

A basement ceiling is low. You can construct two "T"s from 2x4 or 2x3 and use them to hold the rock in place.

Just some thoughts.