"Tile" Board on Bathroom Wall

Old 11-28-05, 07:46 AM
"Tile" Board on Bathroom Wall

I have a sheet of this wall covering that I plan to put behind the sink and toilet in my rental unit. It's the stuff that looks like tile, but it's actually a 4' x 8' sheet of some type of composite with the "tile" laminated on one side (my piece will be 5' by 3.5'). I believe it's supposed to be moisture resistant and I figured it would hold up better than just drywall. To avoid any nail holes, I thought I should glue it to the existing drywall. Should I use Liquid Nails or contact cement?

I was trying to think of the easiest way to hold it against the wall while the adhesive sets without having to build some elaborate support and without scratching the surface. The opposite wall 5' away is down to studs right now, so I can do this before I put up the drywall there.

I was thinking I would cut it with a fine tooth blade on my jigsaw and painter's tape on the cut line to prevent excessive splintering. Sound good?

Sponsored Links
Old 11-28-05, 04:30 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Liquid nail should work fine. I would use a few small brads to hold the panel in place. That type of paneling was frequently used in MHs years ago in place of tile as a tub surround. It didn't hold up well when used in a shower but should do fine for your application.

Old 11-28-05, 06:56 PM
I suppose a few nails behind the toilet and vanity won't be seen.

OK to cut it with the good side down?

Old 11-29-05, 06:05 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Originally Posted by Timinindy
OK to cut it with the good side down?

It has been so long since I used any of that type paneling I don't remember if it cuts like wood or not. As you know be sure to use fine tooth blade. Since you have more than you need I would make a cut on the excess first to see how it does.