Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

vinyl drywall and mudding

12-02-05, 09:16 AM   #1  
vinyl drywall and mudding

Hi, I have a modular home and want to paint over the vinyl drywall. In addition, I want to remove the strips over the cracks and mud those, so it looks like a drywall finish. Can I just tape them and mud, or would I have to actually remove the vinyl first?
Leo

Sponsored Links

PA

12-03-05, 04:34 AM   #2  
I am not very experienced taping over the vinyl, Although mud on vinyl wallpaper works "fairly o.k."

Before I did the joints, I would definately use some kind of primer/sealer in order to give a "paint type surface" for the compound to adhere to.

My .02

Visiting Guest

12-17-05, 08:17 AM   #3  
devildog
Vinal drywall

I am working on a repair from a small fire in witch one wall in my home was dammaged yet the other three have to be painted. The walls "had " vinal on the dry wall.I pulled it off in sheets.It left the fuzzy torn surface of the paper behind. In the next couple of days I will have it all finished and ready to Kiltz and paint. I will post the results asap.So far the joints are looking good hoping the Kiltz will seal the fuzzy surface of the paper and make for a nice surface for painting.

Search this Thread