Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Drywall adhesive

MI

12-02-05, 11:07 AM   #1  
Drywall adhesive

Hi,
I am curious as to how many people recommend using drywall adhesive. Also if recommended what about on external walls with the vapor barrier that covers the 2x6 wall studs or ceilings? I would only guess it is not used to glue the drywall to the vapor barrier but that is why I am asking. I was told it prevents screw/nail pops. I will be using screws in my application.
Thank you,
Jeff

Sponsored Links

PA

12-03-05, 04:12 AM   #2  
It is building code here to always use adhesive, it also works better than just screws. If a ceiling gets wet with just screws, it will fall on you a lot easier than if it is also glued.

Buy the big tubes with a good gun. It will save you in the long run.

MI

12-03-05, 08:21 AM   #3  
Hi Mudslinger and thank you,

I have insulated the exterior wall cavities with Owens Corning Insulation with a vapor barrier and folded the factory vapor barrier (attached to the insulation) flaps over the 2x6 studs. Should I apply the adhesive directly over the vapor barrier (it is stapled to the face of the studs)?
Jeff

PA

12-04-05, 03:14 AM   #4  
Jaws,

Those tabs are suposed to be put inside the bay where the insulation is, not wrapped to the face of the stud. Dont fear though, all is not lost.

If you use a utility knife to cut a little of the paper away from the face you should be able to get at least some bond on the studs (or joists).

It doesn't have to be real pretty, as it is going to be covered with drywall anyway.

I hope this helps.

MI

12-04-05, 06:40 AM   #5  
Hi MudSlinger and again thank you!

This helps me more than you can imagine. This will be an easy fix. Nothing like getting proffesional advice from someone in the field.
Thank you so much,
Jeff

Search this Thread