Studs aren't straight

Old 12-04-05, 05:34 PM
T
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Studs aren't straight

I thought I was ready to hang my drywall in the bathroom, until I realized the old studs are out of alignment. I had previously noticed one that didn't come out as far as the others, and had considered trying to shim it out. Then I realized that the stud in the corner where the wall starts is also set in quite a bit (~ 3/16"). The wall is only 5' long, beginning in the corner where the door hinge is and extending to the tub. I'm trying to determine how much I can allow the drywall to bend without being noticeable, or how much time I need to spend shimming or trying to plane down the studs. I don't remember the old wall appearing wavy, but I certainly don't want my new wall to look that way.

Old 12-04-05, 05:41 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 835 Upvotes on 732 Posts
You probably didn't notice before because the door opened against the bowwed framing. I would fix the framing the best you can and then rock over it. It will likely be no more noticable than before EXCEPT now you know where to look.

Old 12-05-05, 06:46 PM
T
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Thanks.

I went out and got a belt sander today and took the bowed studs down to make them straight with the others. Got the studs all pretty square now.

Nothing is ever as easy as you think it's going to be. At least all the saw dust kinda smells good--compared to all the drywall dust I'll be dealing with soon. It's framed with Douglas Fir with a red tint to it--old stuff.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: