Load Bearing or Not?

Old 12-07-05, 05:33 AM
Mikeoflkn
Visiting Guest
Load Bearing or Not?

I just bought a house that was built in 1973; I want to open up the living and dining area, and the wall I wish to remove runs down the center full length of the house. The roof system is factory made trusses; there is no header above the doors. The walls were prefabricated off site and set into place as units shored up with 1x4, there are no king studs, there is a double sill plate but I think this is just to shore up the prefabricated walls. I do have pictures available if anyone would like to see I could email them.

Sponsored Links
Old 12-07-05, 07:12 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Welcome to the forums

Normally the only load bearing walls with trusses are at the two opposing ends of the truss.

Old 12-07-05, 07:59 AM
Mikeoflkn,

After reviewing the pictures, my opinion is that the trusses are supported on the exterior walls only as marksr mentioned. You have a simple Fink truss which places load at the ends. However, due to the 12 lf span between the bottom V of the web, we need to ensure that no sagging would take place due to the 2x4 bottom chord and drywall weight.

I suggest, BEFORE REMOVING THE WALL, the following options, your choice,

1. Install a horizontal collar tie 2 feet down from the diagonals, this can be 1x4/6 or 2x stock and then install a vertical member of 1x4 or 2x from this down to the 2x4 bottom chord.

2. Install a vertical member only of 1x6 from peak of the truss down to the 2x4 bottom chord.

Since it appears that we do not have a load directly on the wall that you intend to remove, the span may create a slight sag which we do not want. The above options would ensure this.

Hope this helps!