Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Mud Under Mesh?

IN

12-07-05, 05:47 PM   #1  
Mud Under Mesh?

I'm about to do my first tape coat on my bathroom project, and I bought mesh tape to use. From what I've read in here, they say not to put mud under the mesh tape, however, I have a butt joint next to where the shower surround starts where I actually have a few places where there's a 1/4" gap between my new butt edge and the old, existing drywall (we kept the drywall behind the shower surround, and my 'helper' didn't cut it off real straight). For this joint, I'm assuming I need to mud the gap first. Should I allow that to dry before applying the mesh tape, apply the tape while it is still wet, or wait and buy paper tape?

This joint will end up mainly being covered by some vinyl transition trim.

2nd Question: I have a factory edge on the bottom, so the recessed part goes up about 2.75" from where the tile surface will be. Can I just make sure my baseboard comes up high enough to cover that, or do I need to mud that too? (in other words, will it be noticeable that the wall isn't flat at the bottom by the way the trim lays?)

Last edited by Timinindy; 12-07-05 at 06:01 PM.

Sponsored Links
Forum Topic Moderator

TN

12-07-05, 05:58 PM   #2  
The mesh tape is often referred to as sticky tape because it doesn't need mud to glue it to the wall. It doesn't hurt anything for it to have mud under it but if you need to prefill much you should let it dry first.

The bottom edge is usually left unfinished, especially if the baseboard is tall enough to hide it. Some use cardboard as a shim to make the base lay perpindicular to the floor.

If you are taping any corners/angles you will need paper tape.

retired painter/contractor avid DIYer

KS

12-08-05, 05:41 AM   #3  
You NEED either mud or glue under mesh tape. The sticky isn't sticky enough to hold in the long run. I don't know where you read not to put mud under it. but I definitley recommend it.

Forum Topic Moderator

TN

12-08-05, 05:51 AM   #4  
Posted By: coops28 You NEED either mud or glue under mesh tape. The sticky isn't sticky enough to hold in the long run. I don't know where you read not to put mud under it. but I definitley recommend it.

Never known of anyone using additional adhesive when using the mesh tape - maybe thats why it has such a bad track record. I did use some old mesh tape [lost its sticky] on some of the ceilings in my house applying it like you would paper tape with good results. Still prefer paper tape though.

12-08-05, 08:36 AM   #5  
I use mesh tape for most of my projects, and if I'm doing this correctly, I pre-fill large gaps, put the tape on, then run joint compound over the tape for the first coat, then fill coat, etc....

The way I see it, the tape gets saturated with joint compound on the first coat anyway, so why would you need extra compound under the tape to begin with?

KS

12-08-05, 02:30 PM   #6  
whatever you put on the wall is only as good as what is under it. Doesn't matter what you put over the mesh it still isn't stuck down good enough.

12-08-05, 02:35 PM   #7  
Posted By: coops28 whatever you put on the wall is only as good as what is under it. Doesn't matter what you put over the mesh it still isn't stuck down good enough.
Mud does get under there. It saturates the mesh, or is forced into the gap between the sheets.

Putting it on before the tape defeats of the purpose of the 'sticky' part, doesn't it?

Never had a problem doing it this way, but I'm also no pro.

IN

12-08-05, 03:35 PM   #8  
I think what you guys missed is that I have a gap to fill underneath the mesh, and I didn't know if I should let that dry before applying mesh. I decided to wait and I bought some paper tape today, since it sounds like the pros use paper and paper joints are supposed to be stronger.

Visiting Guest

12-09-05, 02:13 PM   #9  
LAZYTNCAJUN40
stop

Here it is for factory edges use mesh tape but for cut edges use paper it will make a smoother finish for large gaps over a 1/4 inch fill them first then mud and tape this will work perfect

Forum Topic Moderator

TN

12-09-05, 04:40 PM   #10  
Posted By: Timinindy I think what you guys missed is that I have a gap to fill underneath the mesh, and I didn't know if I should let that dry before applying mesh.

If it needs a lot of mud to fill in let it dry first, if it only needs a little you can go ahead and tape. If there is too much wet mud under the tape, the weight of the mud is apt to push the tape away from the rock.

Search this Thread