hump in ceiling

Old 12-08-05, 12:05 PM
hump in ceiling

there is a hump in my ceiling. I am going to paint the entire room and I really have no clue how to repair. The ceiling is textured and it was painted white before we brought the house. but now I want to paint the walls a soft chestnut color and am fearful that the hump will stand out if I do not repair.
Question
#1 How can I cut out the "hump" and replace with sheetrock or plaster?
#2 How do I get the same textured effect to match the rest of the ceiling? It is not popcorn but it looks like some type of textured roller pattern or something.

Sponsored Links
Old 12-09-05, 04:50 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
UNless the rock can be pushed up and securely fastened you will have to cut it out to fix it. Shouldn't be any big problems with cutting it out although if there is an attic overhead you will have insulation to deal with.

Most textures are sprayed - popcorn, knockdown, splatter coat and orange peel. Stomp ceilings are also fairly common - thinned joint compound rolled and then stomped with either a crowfoot brush or a round brush. There are also many other types of texture even some that might be a one of a kind.

Old 12-12-05, 01:40 PM
If it can be moved and pushed into place... how do I secure it? with drywall screws or what? please advise.
If that does not work then I will just cut itout and try to match up the ceiling.

Old 12-12-05, 05:10 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
I would prop it up in place - use a 2x and some scrap wood to scotch it up.
Then you can screw it in place. I would leave the prop in place for a day to make sure the rock will conform to its new position. With a little luck you can smear some mud over the screw heads and not need to texture a big area.

Old 12-21-05, 09:19 AM
Thanks for the idea!!!