Drywall end to end

Old 12-09-05, 04:14 PM
Drywall end to end

This is probably a pretty basic question so bear with me.

Whenever I've drywalled previously, I've probably been lucky in that my ceilings were 8ft tall so I put the boards up side by side with the 4ft end going to the floor and ceiling, however now I'm working on a room which will mean the boards need to go end to end.

As there isn't a groove in the end part can I just do it the same way - tape over then mud? Won't that leave a bit of a hump (even slightly)?

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Old 12-09-05, 04:29 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Butt joints are a little harder to finish but it can be done. You need to avoid using too much mud [don't want to build the joint up] and you need to feather the joint out further.

Old 12-09-05, 08:20 PM
What sort of gap should I leave if any?

Thanks for taking the time to reply.

Old 12-10-05, 06:20 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Hang the rock as you would normally. No gap is necesary BUT you don't want them force fitted tight resulting in a ridge. As always if you wind up with a big gap - prefill it.

Old 12-14-05, 02:06 AM
If the paper on the butt joint does "ridge", cut along the joint at an angle about 1/8 deep,(with a very sharp utility knife), to remove the high edge. This reduces the amount you need to feather because the ridge will be removed.

You are then only feathering the height of the paper back into the wall, instead of a bump.

I hope this helps.

Search this Thread