Skim coat question

Old 12-13-05, 10:44 AM
Skim coat question

When doing my skim coat, I add water to my spackle, making it real thin. Then I go over the whole wall. This really ties in the seams nicely to the rest of the wall - a real light feathering. And gives the entire wall a consistent texture leaving it a milky white color.

But even this leaves just the slightest lip (where one pass of the trowel overlaps another)

Im wondering , will these be visible when painting or should the whole wall get a very ligt sanding?

What Ive been doing is using an sponge - barely even damp - and going over the wall. Almost like compounding it. It comes out as smooth as a wall can possible be. But Im wondering If I can just skip this sponging. If these slight lips will be absorbed by the priming/painting then maybe Im wasting my time. But, I dont want to leave them if they will be visible.

Any thoughts?

Sponsored Links
Old 12-13-05, 01:35 PM
Those lips are called lap marks. You should sand them out before you paint. I would go around and shine a light across your walls to see what else needs to be sanded a little better.

Old 12-13-05, 02:00 PM
Im assuming the lap marks are unavoidable in a skim coat. Even when I put a ton of pressure on my trowel, I still have them.

I guess a spackler - if they doa skim coat - just give the walls a light sanding?
Im thinking a big block of wood (maybe an 8 inch 2x4) and fine sandpaper with a few passes along the wall - right?

These are very slight and should just fall off. Am I on target?

Last edited by rkoudelka; 12-13-05 at 02:01 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 12-16-05, 09:24 PM
Do a light sanding.

I too would also hold a hand held light against the wall and look for other imperfections.