clean walls after sanding?

Old 12-14-05, 02:35 PM
clean walls after sanding?

I remember reading once ( i think) that after sanding the walls should be cleaned. Im guessing this is so the dust dust build up under the paint and lets the paint grab better.

Is this a necessary step? Im going to prime first. I cant imagine that there is really enough dust on the walls that it doesnt just get mixed in the the first coat.

If Ido have to clean - what to do.. just wipe with a damp sponge?

Sponsored Links
Old 12-14-05, 03:15 PM
Group Moderator
Yeah, it's a necessary step. I use a damp towel, but some people don't like using water on drywall and will use a tack cloth or even just a dry towel.

Old 12-14-05, 06:06 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Even in low budget production housing the dust gets swept off the walls prior to priming. Dust under the primer/paint can prevent the coating from adhering to the wall like it should.

Old 12-15-05, 10:00 PM
You THINK there isn't much dust, but start tryin' to clear it off and you'll see just how much is there. I start with a fine brush about 10" long, then follow up with a shop vac with a HEPA filter on board.

Of course, work from the top down (ceilings, walls, then floor).

Old 12-16-05, 10:11 AM
I guess Ill clean them then. I kind of figured that, its so fine, that it would get mixed in with the first coat of primer. Not that you would intentionally add something to the primer, but it just seems if you were to measure the amount of dust on an area - lets say 1 suare foot - and the amount of paint used in that area, that the dust woud be insiginificant compared to the paint (primer)

In any case, I trust the experts here.

Old 12-16-05, 10:47 AM
Originally Posted by rkoudelka
I guess Ill clean them then. I kind of figured that, its so fine, that it would get mixed in with the first coat of primer. Not that you would intentionally add something to the primer, but it just seems if you were to measure the amount of dust on an area - lets say 1 suare foot - and the amount of paint used in that area, that the dust woud be insiginificant compared to the paint (primer)

In any case, I trust the experts here.
Some of it invariably will. You just want to remove the bulk of it.

Old 12-16-05, 08:39 PM
I don't like using water after I sand because it can leave little lines on the surface, and spread wet dust to the paper. I prefer brooming.

My .02