drywall estimate

Old 12-15-05, 08:17 AM
drywall estimate

I'm looking for a rough guess to what a professional would charge to hang/tape/sand a 19' x 25' room. the ceiling is already finished, just need to do the walls (mini basement remodel - covering over old wall with 1/4".) I received 1 quote for $2600 - seemed like a lot to me. I can and have done it myself in the past, but don't really want to deal with the mess this time. Plus my taping skills aren't that great. I can make smooth joints, but it would definitely take me longer than it would a pro.

thx, Don

Sponsored Links
Old 12-16-05, 10:21 AM
Depends on where you live and How high your ceiling is. Get some more estimates. that one sounds high. I'm guessing around $1500.

Old 12-16-05, 08:58 PM
ceiling height can really get you. In southeastern PA drywall is usually about 80 cents to $1 per square foot for 1/2 inch over studs, 8 foot ceiling. If the walls are not square, plaster, or if the old trim has to be removed first, drywall has to be carried up 3 flights of stairs, the price goes up quickly.

Then the contractor usually figures out time at $35 per hour.

Given 8 foot ceilings, you have 4 sheets per wall (12 foot sheets). The last 1 foot of the 25' can be taken using the scrap from the 19' wall. So you have 16 sheets total, at 48 square per sheet. So right off you are at about $800. Assuming they will have to find the studs, and that they are on 16" centers, add about $100. Delivery down the stairs is another $50, and if the room is "cut up" (a lot of corner bead work, window sills, the stair transitions, etc.) you can add a couple hundred more.

So $1150 sounds decent. $1500 could sound o.k. too. $2600 seems kind of high.

Old 12-17-05, 10:23 AM
Thanks for the advice. I had someone come by, he said $975 to hang and tape (not including the drywall - I'll get that delivered), $475 to tape only. I can definitely hang it myself, which brings me to my next question - When putting up the 1/4" over the old wall (unpainted), should I use some const adhesive, or are screws good enough?

thx, don

Old 12-18-05, 09:15 AM
I would glue it too. Use drywall glue. Use 1 5/8" screws into the stud.