Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Walls and Ceilings
Reload this Page >

Sagging drywall ceiling in 35 yr old home

Old 12-18-05, 02:00 PM
R
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts

I've put up a T brace to support a bedroom ceiling with a crack (no gap or anything) and I'm working every 6" with drywall screws in the joists near the crack. I cannot get the drywall to meet the joist near the crack-there isn't anything in the attic between the drywall and joist and I'm wondering if keeping the brace up for 24 hours might help the drywall conform from the sag. Just 6" away, the drywall screw went in an is supporting the drywall. The 1/2" drywall throughout the house I've noticed is slightly beginning to sag and will need to be supported. I'm a mother preparing my daughters room for a John Deere remodel and though it may take me more time to adjust to the colors, I don't have that much time before Christmas (can I say Christmas?) for the drywall repair. Any suggestions would be like an answer from Santa.

Old 12-18-05, 06:19 PM
R
I went back into the attic to insure I had removed every particle of loose insulation (reminds me of dryer lent) and found a gray material between the attic joists and drywall. It does not run entirely along the joists as the drywall has met the joists with several of the screws. I read posts about an adhesive being applied while installing drywall. Still, once I remove the T brace, the drywall sinks a little and the screws do not hold the drywall up unless it is flush with the joists. Time consuming yes, but should I gently scrape under the joists to remove the gray material?

Old 12-19-05, 10:23 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 835 Upvotes on 732 Posts
What about adding framing in the attic and attaching the drywall to it? It might be easier to add a 2x along the ceiling rafter and then screw the drywall to it.

Old 12-19-05, 11:11 AM
R
Thank you for the suggestion. I sure wish I had them in the attic last night. I ended up very carefully removing the old glue from under the rafters (called them joists in last post) and bracing the drywall again and it worked. I drilled and countersunk the screws every 3" along the rafters near the crack and it's now even and smooth. I'm still going to dig out along the crack, fill, and tape. The 2X supports along the rafters will be a good idea when I come back this winter and support the remaining drywall. I think I'll want some help for that. I don't know what I would have done without this forum and reading all the posts.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: