Finishing Brickwork

Old 12-29-05, 07:25 PM
Finishing Brickwork

Hopefully this is the correct forum.

I've just spent today hacking render off of a wall in the attic (the adjoining wall to a neighbour). My question is to do with leaving the brickwork as it is and finishing it. What would I need to do - would it need rubbing down, cleaning, repointing then some sort of glaze adding to it?

If its too much trouble I will just drywall over it as Im doing with the rest of the room.

Any help would be appreciated
Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 12-30-05, 06:54 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
It all depends on what you want it to look like. If you can clean up the brick and are sastified with how it looks you can leave it as is. Some like to apply a coat of latex poly to seal and give it a little shine, others prefer to paint the brick.

Is there any noise transfer from the other unit? If there is you may wish to insulate and drywall.

Old 12-30-05, 07:11 AM
The brick looks a bit of mess at the moment which I think can be cleaned up with a brush and a plain old bucket of water, but then it leaves the mortar which is also a bit of a mess, some lumps in parts then other bits which have small holes.

I may get someone in to do some repointing of the mortar, is this something normally done?

Also, thanks for the advice on the Latex Polyurethane, where would I get that - the usual home improvement stores?

Old 12-30-05, 08:39 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Mortar is generaly cleaned off of brick with muratic acid but I would be hesitant to use it inside. A wire brush and a stiff putty knife will probably work best. Repointing the mortar is fairly simple. Mix a small amount of mortar [wet but still stiff] and force it in the voids with a small trowel. if you wear gloves [protects your fingers from abrasion and possible posioning] you can smooth the mortar out with your fingers.

Latex poly can be purchased most any where paint is sold.

Old 12-30-05, 11:51 AM
Thanks for the advice, that's very helpful.

I also have a question about how I would bring the brick and the plastered walls to a meet. Would you advise some sort of threshold?

Old 12-30-05, 04:41 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
A threshold is the wood [or metal] that bridges the floor gap at a doorway. The three most common ways of connecting drywall and brick are, use of wood trim to dress up the transition, use joint compound or caulking to fill in the gap or use mortar to fill the gap.

Search this Thread