Replacing stucco wall with drywall

Old 12-31-05, 08:37 PM
taida
Visiting Guest
Replacing stucco wall with drywall

We have just completed an enclosure of a patio into a sunroom and are wanting to change the once outdoor stucco wall and make it look like an interior wall with drywall and a soft texture. We have been told several different ways this can be done but are unsure of what would be the best way. The suggestions have been:
1- glue drywall on to the stucco wall.
2- used 2x2 to attach drywall to stucco wall.
3- scrape the stucco off and apply drywall.
What would be the best way to make this change and do it right?
Thank you, taida

Sponsored Links
Old 12-31-05, 11:01 PM
I just got done knocking down an old stucco wall and putting up drywall in a converted patio.

Don't glue directly to the stucco. The stucco is not flat, so it won't adhere properly or look smooth.

furring out the wall with 2x2's is something that wasn't possible in my case, because doors and windows were involved. If you have no doors or windows, then furring may be an option. If you do, think about what that extra 2 inches or so is going to make those openings look like.

I resorted to the only option I had; remove the stucco from the walls down to the studs and start from there. It's messy, time intensive and just downright miserable; but the results are well worth it. I guess it would depend on the area that you want to remove/remodel. I had about 400 sq feet and it took me about 20 hours to get it all off; chickenwire, building paper and the stucco itself.

I can lend some pointers on the removal if you decide to go that way.

Old 01-01-06, 07:53 AM
We coat the stocco with interior speedy-patch or several coats of drywall compound. Also, with "hot mud" with good results.

Old 01-01-06, 02:37 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Be sure of what your exterior walls are made of first. About 1/2 of stucco homes are stucco over masonary. If so removal of the stucco would gain you very little. IMO furring with 1xs makes more sense than using 2xs.

Old 01-01-06, 05:36 PM
I recently did this: I painted the stucco with a bonding agent. I used Weld-Crete PlasterWeld might have done as well. I browned it with gypsum plaster and finished it with Uni-Cal finish plaster Diamond would have worked as well. Had the stucco not been painted a good cleaning and direct application of the plaster would hve worked as well. Total added thickness about 1/2" .

I would never remove stucco for what I get for putting it on.

I know most of you are not plasterers.
When the only tool you have is a hammer every problem looks like a nail. I guess when one is a plasterer plaster is the logical solution.
In this case it really is. If the wall is not too large an amateur can do it. Ask me how.

Old 01-01-06, 06:00 PM
I guess it depends on your situation. In my case, I wanted to run new wire and surround sound, and removing the stucco didn't see to be that big of a deal anyway.

Smoothing the wall with hot mud or any other substance sounds great...if you're a pro. That's another reason why I removed the stucco. I'm pretty good with drywall, but there is no way I could skim coat the stucco and make it 'look' like drywall. No way.

It's easy to give advice as a pro, but as a DIY'er sometimes the advice is not practical for the results desired. Of course they could always hire a pro to do it, in which case it would come out smooth.

Old 01-01-06, 07:02 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
You have to start with the right attitude. If you think you can't do it - you probably can't. Most jobs can be done by anyone providing they have the motivation, a little advice and an eye for telling how it is suppose to look.

Many times I've done things not readily associated with a painter but with a little persistence and advice when needed I almost always am able to complete the task.

Old 01-01-06, 07:49 PM
yeah, but nothing beats experience. If you want to do it then re-do it, that's one thing. If you want to do it right the first time, the easy way for the pros sometimes is not the easy way for a DIY'er.

Search this Thread