Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Walls and Ceilings
Reload this Page >

1m*2m sq dimensional rift in plaster wall.

1m*2m sq dimensional rift in plaster wall.


Old 01-03-06, 10:24 PM
Thread Starter
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Victoria,Australia
Posts: 2
1m*1.5m sq dimensional rift in plaster wall.

Unfortunately I have to repair some damage I "allegedly" did to a wall at my house. After cleaning the area I am left with a hole about 1m*1.5m sq.

Being new to this 'fixing my mistakes' business, I am not sure of the correct method to do this. I imagine I should buy a sheet of plaster and cut it to the correct size, then secure it in the hole and fill in the joints.

On the right edge of the hole the timber from the house frame is exposed, so I could screw that edge of the plaster to it. I was wondering if anyone could tell me the proper method for securing the other edges, and the right material to fill the joints.


Last edited by Matheson; 01-04-06 at 01:49 AM.
Sponsored Links
Old 01-04-06, 06:03 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: USA
Posts: 43,810
Welcome to the forums

I assume you have drywall and not plaster. Plaster comes in a bag while drywall [sheetrock] comes in sheets, smallest size 4'x8'. It also comes in various thickness - 1/4",3/8",1/2" & 5/8" [I don't know the meteric equivilant]

Once you have the right drywall for the job take a piece of wood, small enough to enter the hole but longer than the hole, hold it firm and screw it to the edge of the drywall allowing enough to stick past the hole so the patch can be screwwed to it also.

Once the patch is inplace you will need to tape the edges with paper or fiberglass drywall tape using joint compound to secure it. Each coat of compound needs to dry before the next is applied. Usually takes 3 coats, sand as needed.
Old 01-04-06, 07:41 AM
Thread Starter
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Victoria,Australia
Posts: 2
re: dimensional rift

Thanks, harmony restored.

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Display Modes