Which First: Wall or Ceiling

Old 01-05-06, 10:35 AM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Which First: Wall or Ceiling

I am refinishing a large mud/laundry room. Plan on sheet rock for the walls and most likely tongue and groove pine board on the ceiling. I think in most cases the ceiling goes up first and then the wall ties in flush with the ceiling, any incongruencies are covered with crown molding.

My question is.... I am not ready for the ceiling (still planning on getting closed cell foam insulation sprayed into the ceiling "cavity"), but wanted to go ahead with the walls.....

Is there any good reason not to do the walls until the ceiling is up? Or can I put the walls up and then tie the ceiling in flush later (and of course, cover any gaps with trim). I have ceiling "joists" and wall studs set up so that the wall and ceiling can be installed independently (i.e., I have an extra [or doubled] ceiling joist at the joint perpendicular to the tongue and groove [i.e., end of pine boards] so that I can still nail the end of the ceiling boards).

Again what is the standard for installing wall/ceilings.....

Thanks

Old 01-05-06, 10:56 AM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
hi
nornally you do the ceilling first then the wall
if you can to do the walls first you need to add some furring to be able to nail the ceilling boards close to the finish wall.

Old 01-05-06, 11:09 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 384 Votes on 340 Posts
As long as you address any nailing problems as pgtek suggested it shouldn't be a problem. If you where to sheetrock the ceiling it would always be preferable to hang the ceiling first.

Old 01-05-06, 03:55 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
The standard is to complete the ceiling, then the first layer of drywall is hung at the top of the wall first (tight to the ceiling) , then the bottom of the wall last.

But the standard isn't a definate rule. Good Luck

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: