Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Seams are starting bulge in 40 year old drywal

01-05-06, 08:22 PM   #1  
Seams are starting bulge in 40 year old drywal

Help,

I bought my house 5 years ago (2 stroy colonial) and it is very well kept however recently I started to notice horiziontal lines approx 1/2 way up the wall that apear to be bulging out. A friend of mine said it was the dryway seam starting bulge out (He said the drywall was installed lenghtwise?) Some of them are starting to become more noticeable. They are in almost every room. He said they may be caused by the house settling but the house is almost 40 years old and the drywall appears original?

What would cause this to happen now after so long - and more importantly how do I repair them. (Or is their a more serious underlining cause to investigate)

I did search the threads but did not find this exact issue - I can send a digital picture if needed. Help.

Sponsored Links

CANADA

01-06-06, 06:10 AM   #2  
hi
could be the nails are comming loose in time.
no big deal push on it and see it it snugg.
if not just renail and applied mud over it.
sand and paint

01-06-06, 03:00 PM   #3  
follow Up

I pushed on the walls and they are very solid. Also there are no nail or screw heads comng thru anywhere - just a raised line running the length of the wall (I looks alomost like a shadow line until you run your hand over it and you can feel the raised line)

any other ideas on what it might be and how to repair?

VA

01-06-06, 07:48 PM   #4  
any other ideas on what it might be and how to repair?
Its probably from 40 years of shrink/swell cycles from humidity changes ( its not an uncommon problem, many houses end up like that after 40 years, some do it after only a few years). I would go through and add screws to the drywall and hit those areas again with mud to touch them up.

01-09-06, 09:48 AM   #5  
As I said the drywall is actually very tight to the wall -I do not think that rescrewing will actually pull the wall in.

It seems like the drywall is actually so tight that it pushed out the mud along the seam creating the raised line.

I thought of two options to try:

One - Just sand the mud smooth again and repaint

Two - Cut a v shaped notch along the seam to remove the protruding mud and creating notch lower then the drywall and then remud the notch?

Any advice?

CANADA

01-09-06, 11:59 AM   #6  
hi
used a 12 trowel and applied mud on the shadow side that appear to show
that would hide the part that is extending out more

Search this Thread