Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

New Drywall Repair method

01-06-06, 04:42 PM   #1  
New Drywall Repair method

I've heard a drywall repair methd where you oversize the patch piece by about 2 inches on all 4 sides. Then you peel away the added 2 inches of gypsum from the edges but leave its outer facing paper on--using this paper as your joint tape over your hole edge. Then use this as your repair, with the added benefit of only having one tape edge to deal with when mudding.
Anyone use this method?
Would it work?
Does this make sense? Thanks

Sponsored Links

VA

01-06-06, 07:43 PM   #2  
Does this make sense?
Yes, its called a blowout patch- been done like that for many years.

Would it work?
Absolutely, works very well. just make sure the hole isn't larger than about 10x10(give or take) or so, any larger you would need support to keep it securely in place.

Anyone use this method?
All the time.

01-06-06, 07:50 PM   #3  
We call it a butterfly or california patch, been around for years.

CAL

01-06-06, 11:09 PM   #4  
I've tried this a time or two with less than perfect results. Will someone tell me how to remove the back paper and gypsum core without also removing the face paper or damaging it. I am convinced this is a good way to do a patch but i don't know how to get the face paper which over laps the existing not to get all frayed and ripped up.

VA

01-07-06, 12:35 AM   #5  
Will someone tell me how to remove the back paper and gypsum core without also removing the face paper or damaging it.
Just score the back paper, break and peel it off. Help not to do it where the recessed edge is. Other than that I'm not sure what else to tell you.

01-07-06, 08:56 PM   #6  
Keep your mud tight, to much water will even kill plants.

Don't work it to death.

Search this Thread