Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Drywall over lath ceiling

01-10-06, 04:22 PM   #1  
Drywall over lath ceiling

I currently have a drop ceiling, the kind with the white panels. I would like to add drywall to my walls (currently paneling) and to the ceiling. I did not expect to find lath under my drop ceiling. Is it possible to drywall over this? I need to insulate my outside walls also, and when I tear down the panelling will i find lath also? And if so, do I then have to insulate from the outside? I already remodeled the bathroom, it just had foam type tile on the ceiling glued to plywood. i just drywalled over the plywood, no problems. now i come to do the living room and find this lath. any ideas?

thanks.

Sponsored Links
Forum Topic Moderator

TN

01-10-06, 07:25 PM   #2  
Welcome to the forums

I don't ever remember running into a situation like yours. Unless your paneling is heavy duty [thick] it will either have some give between studs or there will be some support behind it. I would think it would be easier to remove the lath than insulate from the exterior. There is a method where you cut holes in the wall and blow in insulation but I would think that it would settle over time.

Unless you need to insulate or wire from below there shouldn't be any problems with hanging the rock over the lath - just be sure to use screws long enough to secure the rock to the rafters.

retired painter/contractor avid DIYer

Search this Thread