Drywall Texturing?

Old 01-13-06, 11:37 AM
Drywall Texturing?

I'm building a new house and my wife thinks that she wants smooth walls, but our contractor is highly recommending texture. He showed us a sample of orange peel texture which he said was the least aggresive. My wife thought that looked okay for the ceilings, but still thought she would like to have no texture on the walls. Is this ok to do? And what are the advantages and disadvantages?

Sponsored Links
Old 01-13-06, 03:55 PM
It was at one time that smoothwalls were the standard of professionalism. It displayed the tradesmen at their best.

Sloopy work and lack of professionalism is easily hidden bt texture.

Texture has become the norm and "slick" walls are usually followed by an up-charge.

What a shame, the lowest common denominator, instead of excellance.

Old 01-14-06, 05:08 AM
I did a basement for a guy from Texas, After completing the job he said "This is the first house we've had that has smooth walls. My wife and I hadn't seen them before". This said, I then knew he wouldn't appreciate my work, as he didn't know any better.

Around here (SE Penna) NOBODY gets texured walls in thier new homes.

It really comes down to personal preference.

My .02

Old 01-14-06, 02:22 PM
Thanks for the responses. What I am getting from you guys is that smooth walls would be fine as long as the sheetrockers do their job correctly. The crew that we hired was highly recommended and seem to really know their stuff, so I think we are going to ask for the smooth walls.

Old 01-15-06, 03:33 AM
I think that is a good idea; then you can decide if you want to texture a couple walls for added intrest in a specific room. Once a wall is textured, it is very hard to make it smooth again.

You can also faux finish smooth walls to add character (i.e. add a texured look), and if you don't like it 3 years from now you can paint it again and it will be flat.

My opinion...

Old 01-16-06, 11:17 AM
Well our drywall crew said that is was no problem to have smooth walls if thats what we wanted but of course there would be an upcharge as an earlier poster mentioned. They said to have smooth walls they would skim coat the whole wall(i think that was the term they used) Is that the common procedure or should they just be able to mud the joints?

Old 01-16-06, 04:13 PM
IHI
In the grand scheme of things, skimming the entire wall (similair to the days of old when plastering and smooth walls were the norm) will cut out alot of time. It's very hard to get perfectly smooth walls when only mudding butt and band joints since mud will shrink a little bit as it sets longer and everntually you'd be able to see traces of the joints with the right light hitting it. Not to mention you'd have to feather out butt joints so far out it'd be darn near like skim coating the wall.

I dread smooth walls because it does take extra time since it has to be perfect and it order to achieve that it costs more. Go into a new home and knockdown has become standard in this area, but my drywall subs knock out 2 houses a day (standard 1200sf ft ranch) since they dont have to be at all particular about the last coat of mud. When I first seen some jobs prior to mudding, there was no way it'd fly by my inspection/expectations, but once it was all said and done they looked fine and you'd never know any difference.