Drywall Labor

When being charged by the board; about how much per board is
fair for a residence with fairly small rooms? And when
charged by the square foot; do I just forget about windows and
doors and measure the distance from wall to wall? I am one of
the Katrina victims in New Orleans, and there is a lot of price
gouging going on. I just want to pay what's reasonable. If it
gets too ridiculous; I'll just find a good book and do it myself. I
have enough tools and is fairly handy with wood.

Last edited by regnell; 01-14-06 at 05:11 PM. Reason: Left out a word
Sponsored Links
Old 01-15-06, 04:34 AM
Regnell,

I responded yesterday and my power went out as I hit the submit button.

Around here (SE Penna) it is charged by the board, not square foot; because one sheetrocks right across the doors and windows then cuts them out. Some crews will hang sheetrock for as little as $4.50 for a 1/2 inch 4x12 sheet, however they usually are not concerned about taxes, and may not be insured.

The normal rate to a homeowner is about $10-$11 per 4x12 sheet for hanging, the same for finishing (48 square feet); and one measures the whole room including doors, windows, and ceilings.

If you break down the labor, a sheet takes about 15-20 minutes to install (on an average, giving and taking for easy sheets and hard sheets), so the hangers are earning about $40 per hour.

As a side note:

Make sure that the contractor is insured! Legitimate contractors will give you the name of thier insurance agent so YOU can call and have proof faxed over to you. As soon as a contractor pays the first installment of thier insurance they get a card saying they are insured, although if they do not keep up with the payments they still can show you the card and are no longer insured.

Insurance companies don't have a problem with this, as it is "standard practice" between contractors. They fax "proof of insurances" all day long. Although drywall itself is pretty safe from a liability standpoint, if a drywall screw gets driven through a wire and a fire starts, you want to make sure you can have your home rebuilt.

I hope this helps

Old 01-15-06, 09:07 AM
What really should be noted is the factor of supply and demand. In your area the demand is high and pricing will reflect that.

Other then that, you have regional price differences. For example mudsligerís prices would be considered rock bottom pricing in my area.

Donít eliminate doors and windows for an estimate. Once you have your total, add five percent for scrap, that should get you going.

One last thing, I do not, in any way, recommend hiring a contractor that is not concered about taxes or insurance. This will usually mean that they are a bunch of illegal aliens. If they donít care about insurance or taxes, what makes you think they are going to care about you.

Hoped this helped and good luck to you.

Old 01-15-06, 04:31 PM
Peladu,

The prices in our area are largely because of the uninsured, non tax paying, people; and we are bidding against them. It makes for a tough living.

The insurance is the biggy as well. We need 2 million insurance (1 million per occurance) minimum.

I think I'll move to Chi-town!!!

MS