lath drywal install?

Old 01-15-06, 07:19 AM
Do It Over Don
Visiting Guest
lath drywal install?

Going to put up rock but took down some nice paneling(oxymoron) which which was nailed to the lath through plaster in some places and old rock in other places. I can see the studs for mounting the rock except in the corners. It looks like the lath is connected to the end studs which are also the framing for the perpendicular walls so I can't screw the rock directly to a stud in the corners. If I rock to the studs on most of the walls, the end pieces of rock will be about 15" with one side screwed to the stud, but can I screw the very corners to the lath?

Old 01-15-06, 07:26 AM
M
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Yes, use a lot of glue, and screw the rock to the lathe using #10 laminate screws. Regular rock screws wont bite into the lathe very well.

I hope this helps

Old 01-15-06, 03:49 PM
T
Received 48 Upvotes on 41 Posts
Is it wood lath?
A # 10 screw might split the lath.

Use a lot of glue and small screws then when the glue has set if you don;t like the look of the screws you can remove them. A small screw with a big pancake or wafer head would hold well and be easy to take out. You could also use and leave in place trim screws.

Nothing wrong with your idea or mudslingers except iif it splits the lath.

Now if it's gypsum lath which I doubt the laminators is a very good idea

Old 01-15-06, 04:23 PM
M
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
We use #10 laminate screws when we need to tighten plaster back to lathe. I know it doesn't sound logical, but it works. Perhaps because the regular screws split the wood lathe and doesn't bite, and the 10's also split the lathe, but act as a wedge. I had a contractor give me some about 10 years ago when I first tried them, and have used them ever since.

MS

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: