Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Walls and Ceilings
Reload this Page >

Replacing plaster/lath walls with drywall

Old 01-17-06, 12:01 PM

I've tried to locate a little info on this without any luck.

Some future projects I have in mind include removing/moving walls and opening up the kitchen (once I determine if the wall is load bearing or not).

Once I'm done cutting/moving I intend to redo the wall with normal drywall.

Is there any problems doing this? As I understand it, behind plaster walls is a tightly spaced layer of lath (wood typically right?). Is the lath the only thing holding everything up? Is that all there is in between a plaster wall?

If I wanted to replace the plaster does that mean I have to replace the lath with wall studs? Are there any problems doing this?

Sponsored Links
Old 01-17-06, 12:58 PM
Depending on the installer, you may find metal mesh over the lath boards. One of my houses had this. Not sure if it was the original wall or a big (whole 5' long wall) patch job. Good luck.

Old 01-17-06, 04:45 PM
Lath can be wood, metal, or gypsum. It is attached to 16 o.c. studs like drywall. To match up old and new, I would hire a pro who can blend them with blueboard and plaster. I've seen it done a few times and it came out pretty good. I cut the old plaster/lath with an angle grinder so it landed on half a stud, packed out the studs to the proper thickness, and then the plasterer did his thing. You'll want to cut all the edges [top and sides] before you smash out the middle out so you dont get long hairline cracks in the plaster you're keeping.

Old 01-18-06, 02:02 AM
It is possible to mix/match drywall and plaster walls. If the whole "new" wall is bare studs, drywall is easy. If you are matching drywall patches into a plaster wall, you may need to shim out the studs or lathe to make a smooth transition from the plaster to the drywall, although it is done all the time.

(You could also replaster the "patch" areas as it was in the beginning)

I hope this helps

Old 01-18-06, 04:09 AM
Originally Posted by kona
Lath can be wood, metal, or gypsum. It is attached to 16 o.c. studs like drywall.

This was really what I was looking for. I didn't know if the lath was all that was inside a plaster wall (thus, if I removed all the plaster/lath would I be left with nothing but the other side of the wall).

Thanks for all the advice folks!

Old 01-18-06, 07:27 PM
I misunderstood... Oops!

Yes, that is what you would be left with (and the studs of course)