Walls with steel studs


Old 01-19-06, 07:15 AM
Thread Starter
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 22
Question Walls with steel studs

Mudslinger, and avidDIYer, all of your feedback was very helpful. Thanks again.
Just curious on insulation for walls framed with steel studs.
General consensus appears to be full-width 16" fiberglass batts for 16"O.C. steel studs. However, my remodeler says insulation either comes in 15 1/2" , or 16 1/2" . This 16 1/2" is too large he claims.
Also, does insulation for steel studs also have that paper facing on it?
That is what he says he will use.
Or do steel studs require some special insulation without facing?
As always, appreciate the help, as I'm new to all of this.
Sponsored Links
Old 01-19-06, 10:17 AM
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: USA
Posts: 6,126
Walls with steel studs

Whichever width you select, make sure you use the thickness of fiberglass necessary for the R-value you want. R19 in a steel stud wall wil give you R 11 to R15 depending on the stud spacing.

A steel stud wall will never have as good an R-value as a wood wall with the same thickness of loose insulation. The steel is a thermal "short-circuit". With rigid insulation (EPS), wood and steel are about the same.

Old 01-20-06, 02:09 AM
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: PA
Posts: 334
First, you're welcome. I am glad you find my info usefull.

The normal center to center spacing using wood studs is 14-1/2 inches, so with wood studs the 15-1/2 is good. As you used steel studs that are "hollow", the 16-1/2 can be used to fill the area in the hollow of the stud. (If you think about it, you have virtually no stud width. Just measure from "inside" the stud to the other side and it should be 16" (minus the sheet metal thickness)

Using the wider allows 1/2" of squeeze to hold the insulation in place. (Insulation works by having it filled with air, so too much crush doesn't insulate as well, although packing it around windows help stopping drafts)

If you use 15-1/2, it will not fill the width.

I would use the thickest possible for the size stud you have, as if you skimp for a couple bucks now, you may kick yourself later... every time you walk into the room.

I would use the faced type if it was my house, putting the facing into the room, and the "open" side to the outside of the house.

In construction, there are usually a number of ways to have something done, each with a certain mindset behind it; hence there are a lot of different ideas and some are better than others. I am glad you like my advice, but also it is important to always keep an open mind. There is a lot of good advice here, and what I give is always just my opinion.

I hope this too helps you. Good luck with the rest of your project!

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Display Modes