Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Walls with steel studs

01-19-06, 07:15 AM   #1  
Walls with steel studs

Mudslinger, and avidDIYer, all of your feedback was very helpful. Thanks again.
Just curious on insulation for walls framed with steel studs.
General consensus appears to be full-width 16" fiberglass batts for 16"O.C. steel studs. However, my remodeler says insulation either comes in 15 1/2" , or 16 1/2" . This 16 1/2" is too large he claims.
Also, does insulation for steel studs also have that paper facing on it?
That is what he says he will use.
Or do steel studs require some special insulation without facing?
As always, appreciate the help, as I'm new to all of this.

Sponsored Links

MN

01-19-06, 10:17 AM   #2  
Walls with steel studs

Whichever width you select, make sure you use the thickness of fiberglass necessary for the R-value you want. R19 in a steel stud wall wil give you R 11 to R15 depending on the stud spacing.

A steel stud wall will never have as good an R-value as a wood wall with the same thickness of loose insulation. The steel is a thermal "short-circuit". With rigid insulation (EPS), wood and steel are about the same.

Dick

PA

01-20-06, 02:09 AM   #3  
First, you're welcome. I am glad you find my info usefull.

The normal center to center spacing using wood studs is 14-1/2 inches, so with wood studs the 15-1/2 is good. As you used steel studs that are "hollow", the 16-1/2 can be used to fill the area in the hollow of the stud. (If you think about it, you have virtually no stud width. Just measure from "inside" the stud to the other side and it should be 16" (minus the sheet metal thickness)

Using the wider allows 1/2" of squeeze to hold the insulation in place. (Insulation works by having it filled with air, so too much crush doesn't insulate as well, although packing it around windows help stopping drafts)

If you use 15-1/2, it will not fill the width.

I would use the thickest possible for the size stud you have, as if you skimp for a couple bucks now, you may kick yourself later... every time you walk into the room.

I would use the faced type if it was my house, putting the facing into the room, and the "open" side to the outside of the house.

In construction, there are usually a number of ways to have something done, each with a certain mindset behind it; hence there are a lot of different ideas and some are better than others. I am glad you like my advice, but also it is important to always keep an open mind. There is a lot of good advice here, and what I give is always just my opinion.

I hope this too helps you. Good luck with the rest of your project!

Search this Thread